Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Bumper Chute!

This might not be all that new or interesting an item but I stumbled across it looking for something similar, thought it might be useful to others here: http://bumperchute.com/

Easy way to erect a quick shelter, stows neatly away, not complicated or tough for a one man (or one woman) deploy!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: Bumper Chute!

That's cool, too bad they're so vehicle specific.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Something like that for the side doors might be better than the Fiamma awning.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

They do have a barn door model, which might work on the rear. Or a blue tarp, some bungies, and a an old tent pole. I think I've seen pictures here of similar stuff. Although I must say if I have the doors open to support a tent structure I probably don't need the tent... And for shade, awning. Some teardrop trailers I've seen have some nice ones that might fit the rear of a van. I've sometimes thought that might be a cool van design, with a slide out kitchen/bath backwards facing in the rear with a pass-through to the interior, and a screen to keep out bugs. And some shelter type thing like this. Be cool for a grilling set up, which is not fun in the van....

Rob
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

I would think a van specific canopy, with a fiberglass support hoop, that is attached not to the doors but the van... s.t. you can have the doors open or closed, and have shade.

Who wants a hobbyist vendor tag?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #6

Here's yer prototype...

Attached Thumbnails
1002962_10151817855568054_561826204_n.jpg  
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
JWA

In another SMB thread I posted about side and rear door awnings for my E250 EB cargo/work van various good ideas were suggested but none of them fit the mental vision I think would work best. Something that's easily deployed in about 2 seconds, pretty much supported by the door tops, all for the sole purpose of deflecting rain, snow or sun while I'm on a job.

Most likely my end product will have to be self-fabricated, a preliminary design running through my mind already, thanks in large part to a few suggestions here. The BumperChute is a nice concept when/if it'll be used for longer than a few hours at a time.

My end goal will be something as easy to open and close as a tool box drawer if that helps give an idea or image.

Anyway glad a few found this interesting even if not instantly usable.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

If I were to go all custom I'd look into systems using the bimini hardware common on boats. Lots of stainless fittings to attach fabric and poles. When I was spec'ing my van my friend suggested I buy a used rolling window shade rather than the Fiamma and just pull it out to attach to the barn doors. I passed (on both the Fiamma and the blinds). Not a bad concept though.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
JWA

Thanks for that reminder Rob-----had thought of something marine related too but it somehow slipped my mind.

Putzing around with a more secure door window arrangement I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/32" Lexan, have a half sheet left over. I've somewhat tested my brainstorm of a roof mounted pull out that might have potential to fill my needs. This is one of those projects that'll be in the back of my mind for a while, inspiration will hit one day and it'll seem so simple. Well in theory anyway............!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #10

That Lexan laid over the top of the barn doors on front or rear would be cool. With maybe a fabric or rubber band on the van side to lay over the rain gutter to shelter the back.

But dunno where you'd store it. You could double-hinge it on the top edge of the penthouse, but then you'd need supports and it's probably too high. Or use narrower strips as wands to arch over the doors under tension, and fabric on top.

Let us know what you do.