Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: CB Antenna Whip Mount

If nothing else, the FireStik brand of antenna has substantially more rigidity to it than the old-school all metal whip antennas. They do still flex quite a bit, but nothing like the true whip antennas.

http://www.firestik.com/

Herb

Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
If nothing else, the FireStik brand of antenna has substantially more rigidity to it than the old-school all metal whip antennas. They do still flex quite a bit, but nothing like the true whip antennas.
I have a couple of FireStiks. My CB FireStik bends enough to get through some stuff. They also sell a spring mount that you can use to get even more bend.

I was using a shorter FireStik on the roof of the cab with a magnet mount and a spring and it bent almost all the way down, which meant it whacked the van at times. And broke the mount and sailed away. I like having the FireStik on the fender now because I can watch it in tight places, and it doesn't whip around. Our vans, as you've probably noticed, do considerable side-to-side moving and this exacerbates the swinging.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

I'm actually using a FireStick style antenna, just can't figure out where I should mount it. I'd hate to drill into my van's body, but seems like the best way so it's not in the way of the back door swinging
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

They make door mounts; perhaps it could go on the outside of the rear doors. You'd still have to run the coax, which might be a pain depending on your build. You're probably gonna have to drill somewhere; better on a door jamb than the body itself. If the antenna gets hit you want it to go without dinging your bodywork. The trunk mounts we've mentioned have the same advantage.

And you need to pay attention to the ground plane to get good reception; FireStik has lots of good info about mounting on their site.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #15

CB Antenna Whip Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Jage, how did you get the antenna wire from the cabin into the engine compartment? I just redid my headliner (wow, that was a LOT of fun) and prewired for the CB and antenna, but don't see any obvious path to get the coax out into the engine area.
On the Fords, there's a rubber plug near the front door hinges that passes into the footwell area. Then, from the hinge area, it's a simple route through the fender cut out into the engine area.

My alarm installer went a different route. He drilled a small hole just above and to the left of the brake pedal to pass his wires, after he put a grommet in the hole he drilled. He then filled the remaining space with a goopy rubber compound.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote