Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Cook Set

My frying pan is worn out and I'm thinking of buying a camping style cook set. I have been using my old pots and pans from when I upgraded my cookware at home.

What are you all using?

Think of something like this that foldup into itself

http://www.rei.com/product/765749

The key is non stick I like making eggs but don't like scrapping them off pans and easily stowable

Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

Re: Cook Set

I have a set from REI that looks nearly identical to that one. Check the sizes to make sure they work for you. I find the skillet a bit small. Also don't misplace the handle like I did for one trip. Ended up using vicegrips to pick it up.
I like to use a bigger skillet and cook several things in it at once, so I have that set and a regular skillet from home.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

I don't mind the regular camping pots for cooking but I don't like the lightweight frying pans. They are too thin to heat and cook evenly. IMHO, of course. I always carry a regular frying pan, with a lid to contain spatters. My preference is for the heavy aluminum ones but I think anything solid works ok. Cast iron might be a bit much though, hard to get the wrist action to flip pancakes with a 10 lb frying pan. I also carry a separate kettle for tea and coffee so you never have to worry about cleaning a pan for boiling water.

Also, be a bit wary of the non-stick coatings. Once they start to break down, and they will, you end up ingesting chunks of it and it's not terribly good for you.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

yea the frying pan options seem to be the draw back of most camp purpose, i think the makers for those set up figure all you need to do is boil water and ad to dehydrated food
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

the cookset on the other end of that link looks nice, and i may have spotted it a few weeks back during a visit to REI in Portland.

my wife and i've always used standard SS/copper bottom cookware in addition to cast iron dutch oven and griddle. They work great and we use the same tech in our house kitchen so we don't have to switch mental gears on cooking times and such.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I have an older version of the REI cook set, probably similar to Steve's. I really liked this product, especially for a small family. The non-stick quality of the pans are quite good. Cooking pancakes, eggs, quesadillas (for the little one), just spray Pam and thats all. You can buy an extra handle from Walmart just incase you loose the original. I would recommend this.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

We opted for the Snow Peak Titanium Multi Compact Cook Set and a couple of their Titanium
Frying Pans . You will find that Titanium is a little lighter and easier to mantain than Aluminum
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #8

I have become a huge Lodge Logic fan. Yes, the cookware is heavy. But, it is also indestructible. AND, over time it becomes more and more "non-stick".

We also have a set for home use and a set for camping so the transition back and forth is easy.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #9

I have flea-market special style from when I moved to my first apartment. 1 non-stick skillet, 1 pot, 1 lid and a small strainer that fits with the pot. Everything fits in my cooking cabinet and the non-stick skillet has held up through 3 or 4 sets in our home kitchen (which admittedly get more use).

Now you guys will have me looking at REI for this to check out the skillet size. STOP SPENDING MY MONEY!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #10

Basically, we have the same set-up as Jage - minus the skillet. Simple and compact set-up. Le Creuset enamel heavy-gauge carbon steel six quart pot with handles and matching lid with knob. Also have a small coffee press and tea kettle. The kettle fits in the pot.

The strainer is silicone rubber with feet and handles (fits in the pot). We like this material, but it looks like it has been yanked from the store shelves - bad for you? Thinking about getting egg pods made of similar looking material - they float in water for non-stick sunny-side up eggs.

Still considerng a skillet for outdoor cooking and also thinking about a Moroccan Tagine. If anyone has experience using the Tagine, we'd be interested in what they think about its utility.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote