Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #1

DeLorme InReach

How about SPOT’s big brother. I did not actually get this for the van, but for those of you that are looking to communicate back home while out in the boonies , how about Delormes InReach.

InReach is two way SOS system like SPOT. The big difference is that you will be able to get confirmation that your message has been received. InReach uses the the Iridium network. It also provide two way messaging using DeLorme’s PN60w GPS or connect your Iphone/Pad or Android device using Bluetooth.

Another feature is the follow me/tracking location. You can give your family access to a map on the web, that InReach will update your location at specified intervals. I used this for my family when I took a recent trip from Oregon to the Nascar Race in Kansas City

While I have mixed feelings on the use of SOS systems, I believe the InReach brings along other features that will probably earn a space in my van or backpack from now on. I consider the SOS system very worthwhile but it does not replace being properly prepared and using sound judgment in your outdoor activities.

The phone app brings along downloadable topo maps, and of course the InReach as a built in GPS, so your phone or tablet device does not have to have GPS.

Find out more details here http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/

greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Re: DeLorme InReach

Very Cool, and thanks for the post. This is on my wishlist now
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Does this have a monthly coverage fee with it or is it a one-time purchase?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Mac, click on the link and at the bottom is a list of pages for specifics... and

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-i ... -plans.php
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Team

I have SPOT along with the DeLorme’s PN60w GPS, so I can send limited text messages (but cannot receive them). I pay a yearly service fee along with a message plan fee. All in all, fairly expensive, but not many other options, unless you want to start looking at satellite phones.

I think this new DeLorme variant is even more expensive, but it does provide some level of piece of mind when travelling in remote areas that don't have cell service (isn't that the goal, to get away from cell phone coverage?). Based on the system I own, DeLorme was clearly in partnership with SPOT, but this new system makes me wonder if they've broken out on their own.

Herb
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

I use DeLorme software on my tablet (DRS XRT) with a US Golbalsat antenna. I like it and use the same tablet on both my Motorcycle and in my Van. The InReach looks like it will have to be on my Xmas list.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Team

I did a quick search, but came up empty.

Any firsthand opinions, or thoughts about SPOT's satellite phone? I like the SPOT setup I have (SPOT paired with a DeLorme’s PN60w GPS) so I can send one-way text messages and see can trsck my location, but having my wife being able to get in touch with me may be a benefit (don't let her see that comment).

Initial purchase price, plus a monthly or yearly service fee.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=122

Herb
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Site Team

After reading through the web page found this of interest.
Quote:
Can I enable tracking if I have the Safety Plan?

Yes, but you are charged $0.25 per track point.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
After reading through the web page found this of interest.
Quote:
Can I enable tracking if I have the Safety Plan?

Yes, but you are charged $0.25 per track point.
Good catch. I guess one way or another, you pay. You just have to decide which is more valuable to you, Tracking included without 2 way communication, or pay-to-track with 2 way communication.

Herb
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #10

Just try to make cellphone calls and say "al qaeda" or "tea party" and the NSA will probably track you for free...and send a drone if you need help

Now that they're selling these proprietary rescue beacons with sat phones, I kinda don't see why one wouldn't just buy a sat phone, since we already have GPS units. I suppose some people might need tracking, and I guess if you travel out of cell range as we do it might be nice, if you've go someone paying attention. But that leads to its own complications.

But consider that you can get an Iridium phone with NO plan; you can buy a phone with x number of included minutes. And with the Delorme Iridium they at least offer a seasonal 4 month contract; SPOT is monthly or yearly, and Globalstar (who owns SPOT I believe) doesn't do pay as you go. And Iridium is probably a better network if you believe most reviews. I think one of the Delorme models allows two-way messaging, which is obviously better. Not sure if SPOT does.

I like having dedicated units rather than mashups, so I'd be leaning towards just an Iridium phone if I need this service again. And you can rent them.

For pure emergency use I'd still prefer a PLB on the public emergency network. Not that SPOT or Delorme emergency services are bad; I haven't heard that they are (the rescue service; haven't heard good things about customer service). But having a PLB on a better frequency, with more power, is good, as well as GPS data (and a locator beacon, although I believe that's being phased out). And I just have more trust in the 406 system, but maybe that's cuz I'm used to it from boating.

For us, I expect the sat phone is the thing we'd need the most. In that having your transmission blow up on a dirt road somewhere isn't an "emergency" within the context of these devices. You just need to call for a tow. Tracking, texting, etc would all take a back seat to that.