Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Re: DeLorme InReach Explorer and SE

I'm still not convinced on these.

I love PLBs; I've carried EPIRBs (same thing sorta) offshore. And I prefer the rescue network they have over GEOS. GEOS has successfully coordinated rescues many times, but there have also been massive fails. But I just don't need a PLB for land based trips; if I was still backcountry skiing or climbing though I'd have one for sure over a SPOT or DeLorme. For panic button use nothing beats them.

But having said that, it would still be preferable, all over things being equal, to have a two-way communicator. Beacons were invented, in part, to deal with situations where radio communication fails, either because your boat sank or plane crashed, or because you're out of range. But if you can, you'd always do a mayday over UHF or whatever first. Or 911. Rescue of a talking person is oh so much easier.

So my point in the OP was to see about those things you'd use before you shoot the panic button. Even some regular sat phones now have them I think. I really can't imagine a situation where I'd prefer to have a SPOT over a sat phone (Globalstar vs Iridium vs Immarsat reception issues aside). If you get in situations where all you can do is press one button, maybe...but then I'd have a PLB as anzac noted.

And I'd still prefer communication over tracking. I get those SPOT tracks, and without a detailed plan placed ahead of time, that can't change, they aren't worth much. My friend's just stopped: is he off the river and on the way home? or stuck on a rock in the middle of the river, having dropped the SPOT in the water? No way to know. Hoping for the former. Would help with body recovery though. Granted, he should be nice and drop an email or new SPOT message that's he's off the river. But of my three friends using 'em, no one does. In pre-SPOT days we simply agree they'd be on the river for three days, and after four to call the cavalry. While the panic button would still be good, the tracking didn't do much in this situation.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Best price I've found on the inReach Explorer is $349.95

You have to add it to your cart to see the price.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Delorme-inRe ... P4050.aspx

Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this store before.

Herb
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
Site Team

So, has anyone pulled the trigger on an inReach Explorer? I'm seriously considering picking one up, but hoping for some firsthand comments.

Herb
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #14

Go to http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... h+explorer and check out the review.

The nav portion of the device is pretty rudimentary. Not that I'd have to use it as a navigator, but from the review it seems that it lacks even some of the most basic GPS capabilities. Some folks are happy with the communication part, however. I'm still waiting. It's interesting the DeLorme product manager replied to a very detailed Amazon review. I have hopes it will improve.

The other thing still holding me back is that emergency roadside service providers still refuse to take texts. Idiots. What year is this? I can still probably go through someone, but it's oh so lame. I wish GEOs would have some sort of forwarding service to your ERS provider.

But if I really needed the communication, I'd probably go for it now, even with some nav deficiencies.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #15

Reading comprehension is not working well today but it appears to be a great piece of gear if paired with a smart device. We're wanting to slave our existing devices through something like this instead of having a stand alone GPS. We also want some type of global two way unlimited texting, that will be our primary mode of communication when we are on the road. We'll check it out at Expo East.

-John
Old 09-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Site Team

Well, pulled the trigger today on an inReach Explorer from REI. Had to mail order it as none of the local stores had one. Should be able to give my initial assessment sometime next month.

Herb

FWIW, sometime in the next 2 months or so, I will probably be selling my DeLorme PN-60W SE and SPOT.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #17

Can't wait to hear some real world experience.

-John
Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #18

Over on ExPo, Overland Journal has completed a review of PLBs and messengers.

Personal Locator Beacons and Satellite Messengers

I haven't read the entire article, but OJ reviews are typically in-depth and very well thought out.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #19

Saw that. I definitely think the InReach is the way to go, but I still haven't been able to gather much info on real-world applications, especially using text to communicate with ERS or gov't agencies. It isn't so much the device's fault, it's great; it's that the infrastructure for vehicle services and rescue is sorta behind the times. You're probably OK if it's a life and death situation, but their utility in just say a vehicle breakdown scenario is less apparent.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

We spoke to a Delorme rep at Expo East. The big takeaway is that their new devices are in no way a GPS replacement, augmentation at the very best. We were hoping it would remove one device from the growing arsenal but, at this time, that is not the case. They did mention the advantages to having two way communication and specifically brought up instances where a tow truck was needed instead of an extraction team. Thus, preventing an expensive mistake but we didn't ask if they helped in getting a tow truck deployed. We were a bit rushed between classes so we'll need to call the rep we spoke to.

The two way texting is desirable for us and may drive our decision to get one. For our trip, it would be nice to have one contact everyone could reach us at even though it'll be text only. We are OK with GEOS as it is far superior to the nothing we have right now. We will still pick-up sims for data etc. but having constant 2-way communication to family, friends and other travelers would be great.

-John