Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: door mounted outdoor stove

Don't get me wrong, I use porpane 95% of the time. Even propane is affected by cold but the butane stove is nice because it does not produce heat out of the bottom of the stoves like MY propane stoves do. I'm not saying there are not propane stoves you can set on the counter top and I'm looking. If you look at my setup, the propane stove I uses sits on top of a 1 gal propane bottle. The burner I use is super small and packs up in a small bag I carry. In my case size does matter. It's for outside cooking and works great for my needs.

I carry the big stuff in my SMB trailer and use it when I have my trailer.

Although I don't like to carry a variety of fuels, the butane stove provides a good platform and does not melt my countertop. It's a backup stove only when I'm suck inside during poor weather. Too bad somebody doesn't come up with a small portable iso-propane stove that has a steady base and won't produce lower heat like most of them do. The Pocket Rocket is a good example of "crap, pasta noodles all over the floor"...been there done that but I would switch over to Iso-Propane ASAP is I could find something that is as good as the SMB type stove.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #22

I like Dave's setup too. Like him, I would do most cooking outside. But he's right, you'd need the lower flatter units for inside.

Dave's setup:

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #23

door mounted outdoor stove

I'm change my layout (again) , but I had mounted a set of heavy duty shelving channels on my door, and built a wooden box around my propane two burner. This allowed me to have it at counter height if cooking in the van(rare), or open the door all the way( with a little help from a small bungie, trust me), and lower it to regular height outside under the awning.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Saline, looks like you have the comercial version (the red one) in your picture. Is it a better stove than the ones SMB sells?
high end butane stove link
I can't see anything in that "deluxe" stove's exciting bulleted feature list that's different from the one I got from SMB. Looks very similar, too, except for the red paint and some of the swoopy plastic.

-- Geoff
Old 12-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Geoff, my stove is better in quality than what SMB now sells and better than what I've currently seen at Big-5. They all seem to work in the same fashion but the metal is heavier in gauge on mine and it seems to have a better fit & finish. I do have problems loading the canister at times but I'm somewhat happy with it considering how poorly made these things are. One of the guys at work has one better than mine but we can't find anything out there that's higher in quality than his. I've read on line of stoves used in the culinary industry...they cost about 50 bucks but there is no way I'm going to buy W/O seeing one in person. I've been looking for a high end butane stove but have found nothing on-line except iso-propane.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #26

Thanks, daveb -- I'd be curious to learn of a better unit to buy. I've been pretty happy with mine, except for its mediocre power on cold mornings. I suspect the temperature problem is inherent to using butane as a fuel, though. I would think a stove could redirect some of its heat back to the butane cartridge to keep it warm.

-- Geoff
Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Yes, I only use it inside as a rule...butane sucks in cold weather (below about 32F) and I only use propane outside in those conditions. Gasoline is great, but not for inside and I really don't want the mess. The butane/propane blends (Iso) are slightly better than straight butane but even those have trouble in the lower freezing temps. Propane also has a hotter flame than butane I believe, but not by much. Whats nice is that SMB stove is stable, and can be used on a counter top. So my crummy little butane stove stays in my van and I carry a 1 gallon propane tank plus about 6 of those little butane canisters. Other than the problem of having to carry 2 fuels, I'm happy. I just don't cook inside enough to worry about having a dedicated propane stove inside.