Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #1

door mounted outdoor stove

I heard SMB is making something like this. We want to eliminate the stove inside. Any leads?

pinsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Garage
Re: door mounted outdoor stove

SMB can provide (or elsewhere) a small single burner stove that runs on canned butane. It fits nicely in the top section of the side door galley in a 50 plan. It can operate outside when the door is open or anywhere since it's portable. I have that, and specified NO countertop stove.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

We have the same setup as Jeffrey and love it. We cook outside when the weather is good and inside when it is not. The butane burners have been great they have good temperature control and don't use much fuel. The fuel canisters can be purchased are widely available but we have found the best prices are usually at restaurant supply stores.

Cheers,
John
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

I'm in the exact same situation as Jeffrey and John. I would hate to have a built in stove of any time. I love the portability of the small, butane stove (costs ~$30) and almost always cook outside or at least under the awning.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

have the same stove never thought about putting it on the door thanks!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #6

I've got two, I finally ditched my coleman and the green 1lb bottles. They work in the SMB pantry off the door, on top of the pantry when inside, or in the Alumiess bumper box- there is a style that folds down like the SMB pantry and becomes a pretty sweet table.

They're also good for camp tables or picnic tables. Anywhere flat really, and if it's not flat a forum member turned me on to using those brown rubber door stops to level the stove!

The best thing is the little butane canisters fit in the door, so I can carry about 3:1 over the green monsters that went with the coleman.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Dana
We have the same setup as Jeffrey and love it. We cook outside when the weather is good and inside when it is not. The butane burners have been great they have good temperature control and don't use much fuel. The fuel canisters can be purchased are widely available but we have found the best prices are usually at restaurant supply stores.

Cheers,
John
Thanks for this thread. I have the stove that came with the SMB but had no idea where to buy the fuel for it. We have been using our trusty two burner Coleman stove and lugging the green propane bottles around. After reading this I stopped by the local restaurant supply store and sure enough plenty of Butane for about $2.40 each. I am going to ditch the Coleman and clumsy storage taking green bottles in favor of this smaller stove. Also most cooks I have seen use this exact stove when they need more cooking surfaces. Took some cooking classes and this portable unit is what we used primarily instead of the built in countertop stove.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #8

I get mine at Big5 sporting goods. None of the other sporting goods stores even know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Same here...Big-5 for butane.

For my purposes, I don't know if I would want a door mounted outside stove if it was offered. Too many variables I would think, like weather, tilt, and terrain. I'm more comfortable with a small portable aluminum table and cook where I want. When I bought my van, SMB had the silverware box opened with the SMB provided stove sitting on one of the doors that drop down so it's kind of an outside cooking platform as long as the side door is open.

I like my butane stove but prefer propane outside and haul a 1 gallon tank. Runs my stoves, lantern, and BBQ for over a week. Most towns have some kind of filling station. I keep the butane stove for backup and inside cooking that I rarely do but it sure is nice to use for a fast cup of espresso when I have the propane stuff packed up. I added a few strips of velcro and mount it right on the counter top in its case. If I need counter top space, just pull it off. I'm even thinking of velcroing a cutting board on top of the stove case.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #10

could someone post some pictures of the type of stove you're talking about? I'm not familiar with it. Thanks.