Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

El cheapo pressurized solar shower & washer

After seeing a post regarding a super spendy aluminum on-the-roofrack shower system (that I was rather skeptical of) I took a look at my trusty solar shower bag. I love it, but it seems to have developed some agriculture inside. Not wanting to spend much, and now that it's warmer not needing the Zodi, I cast about for a solution.

I had one of these little (1.25g) pesticide-type sprayers; I got it at Harbor Freight for $10 and use it for spraying Star San in home brewing. Hmm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quar ... 95692.html

I had the rattle-can paint out for another project, and quickly through a coat on the sprayer. On a warmish day I threw in just over a gallon (you need head space to pressurize if you're not gonna use gravity) and left it from 1 to 3:30, ambient air about 68F, water from tap 52F. It warmed up to 86F, not as much as I suspect the solar shower would but hey.

Shoots quite a stream, or very misty.

In a nice touch, you can lock on the spray. Or remove the sprayer alltogether. It pumps out probably a bit less than the solar shower in gravity mode, but much more if you pressurize it till the safety valve hisses. Also great for washing windshields, spraying annoying cats, washing the dog. Thinking of trying it as a beer dispenser, but might impart taste. And I'll probably shorten the wand a bit, although it is nice to direct a stream at the feet (one thing I don't like about the solar shower is that the water cools considerably as it falls to near your feet; less of a problem with this thing).

My other possible solution was to redirect the windshield washers; that used to be a fave when I was a teenager and cruising was still legal. But the washer fluid didn't warm up as much as I thought it would.

Rob

Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

El cheapo pressurized solar shower & washer

Not that is an excellent idea. We use a bag shower as well but this would resolve the issue of where to hang it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Garage
Re: El cheapo pressurized solar shower & washer

If the windshield fluid is too cool for a shower, add in a little hot engine coolant.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

My temporary solution to an onboard shower in the new vehicle is the Nemo Helio Shower.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/expe...ap-shower.html

Solves the problem of where to hang it up.
No, those are not my legs.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Not that is an excellent idea. We use a bag shower as well but this would resolve the issue of where to hang it.
Comes with its own handy shoulder strap. You could walk around the campsite showering yourself...if it's that kinda campground.

I forgot to mention you can fill it by immersing it, something that's always frustrating when trying to use your bag at a hot spring.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Garage

never thought about these as a shower, but good thinking!

we have a few of these we use to spray down our tires inbetween runs for the autoxs/hillclimbs that double as misters at our work stations. now we have another use for them! thanks for the idea
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
never thought about these as a shower, but good thinking!

we have a few of these we use to spray down our tires inbetween runs for the autoxs/hillclimbs that double as misters at our work stations. now we have another use for them! thanks for the idea
Yeah, I've thought of using mine in the same way...but I'm in HS, and we never seem to get the tires hot

But on hot days it would make a nifty mister; it puts out a very fine spray.

(BTW, seem to be quite a few people here into auto sports of the non-truck variety...maybe I should start a thread on that. It's relevant because people use SMBs in their other recreational pursuits, and we're always trying to use gear that can double up in those other sports.)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
(BTW, seem to be quite a few people here into auto sports of the non-truck variety...maybe I should start a thread on that. It's relevant because people use SMBs in their other recreational pursuits, and we're always trying to use gear that can double up in those other sports.)
I think thats a great idea! would love to see some other crossover items. and who knows, i may even be able to contribute some info back for once instead of just copying other members great ideas, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #9

I posted something (rather long-winded) over in General Sportsmobile about the motorsport connection.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Charlie, I really like that Nemo Helio Shower. Seems like a great product. I've used a solar shower for years, but it is major pain to hang it at a useful height. The Nemo is now on my wish list.