Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #1

Fiamma Awning Length for EB

So the bloodletting continues at a furious pace. One last big thing on my immediate list is a Fiamma awning. Got 1der's brackets already. So I see a 10'1" and an 11'6" awning. Both would fit on my bracket placements, but just wondering what others have done on their EB's.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

Go with the 10ft awning. It is a good balance of covered space, weight and visual on the side of the van. Either SMB Fresno or Aluminess will be your best source/price.

Call them first to make sure it is in stock and pick it up. Shipping will be expensive! I can help at Aluminess, if you need anything else. Give me a call / email/ PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Ray, what's the best size for a RB van? Still 10ft?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

I have the 3.5m / 11.5' awning on my EB and wouldn't want it any less wide.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Ray, what's the best size for a RB van? Still 10ft?
Joe, yes, for an RB 10 ft works well. If you have, or will install, a ladder on the passenger side, the awning will be right there under the last foot of the awning. One can slide the awning even further forward but it is only going to another few inches at best. Imho, 12 to 15 in forward of the Pillar is about as far as looks right. For an idea of a 10ft awning on an EB, here is a pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821[1].jpg
Views:	11
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	16281

The awning case as mounted on our van extends approx 1ft forward of the B-Pillar and 1 ft aft of the rear bracket. This works well with our passenger side ladder. An 11 ft awning would extend over the the top of the ladder. This is not so much of a problem when the awning is retracted as you can reach over the case. If the awning is extended, access to the roof is not going to be via the ladder since it will be under the awning.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Here's a 10 foot Fiamma on an RB. If you have a ladder you can slide the awning a bit more towards the front.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

My ladder is on the driver's side, I had to Jack it up to meet the pinch weld and snapped one of the studs on the top mounts, but that is another story.

Because i have a window van, the rear bracket needs to rest between the windows. I measured it and it looks like it will be fine for the 10 ft. The 11'6 would probably over lap the front door about 6" and come back to almost the rear of the van. I will measure again, maybe 3 more times before I order up.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #8

This is the 3.5m one on an EB:

Pretty much a perfect fit onto the side of that rack.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #9

That's kind of what I figured madscience. Pretty darn good fit. I may go long. Just because I can. The bumper I am fabbing up will allow the galley box to swing around 180 so my kitchen will be right there. Be nice to have shelter to cook under with the extra length.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Flux - Galley box 180 sounds nice!

If you are going for the F45S 3.5m, make sure it is the F45S and not the F45 Eagle. The Eagle is without legs and it will not work with the brackets.

Check with SMB West and see what they will charge for the 3.5m awning and let me know. I will see what I can do on pricing. Usually they have better pricing since the freight for them is amortized over pallets of units. Thxs!