Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Fiamma vs Carefree

I started this as a new thread because it's about awning choices and not just attachments. But it does seem to be ALL ABOUT brackets, which we're discussing in Zeta's continuing thread about how best to put a patio awning on a Ford van.

Does anyone know of someone's putting a Carefree Truck Camper Wall Mount Awning on a Ford van? They have scissoring support arms and can be electric. The 11'5" one weighs 66 lbs, pretty close to a comparable Fiamma.

I know most folks are Fiamma fans because that's what SMB sold you. However, we who are building mostly from scratch or adding one as a mod have a choice. The Z brackets would seem to work for Carefree's cases equally as well. Here is the End View Small Box Patio. It's 3.6"D x 5.7"H; and its back is flat.

With Carefree I see the advantage of buying a smaller awning for the driver side window that matches the color of the patio side.

There must be some differences but I can't see anything in Fiamma's favor. Those who have seen this question posted before, and those who just know about Carefree, please help me see the differences. I will cross-post this question over on Expo Portal to the truck camper people.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Re: Fiamma vs Carefree

I thought the same thing and am always blown away by how LITTLE anyone in the RV business seems to know about awnings. Maybe it's just me. I'm also not sure how they justify $1k for a 10' piece of canvas and some hardware.

I went with this on my last van, and slid it off when not in use and stored it up in my pop top, which you can do with a CCV top.

http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html

Other than being in a white bag these are very well made, very nice awnings, but not 1 step like the Fiamma/Carefrees. It took me about 2 minutes to set mine up, no ropes or stakes necessary, but it does have 2 poles to the ground (or side of vehicle).

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Looks like a possible-possible; but their site is horrible. No pix of what the thing looks like at the attachment point, how the poles fold up for storage, etc. I apologize for asking you to take the time; but can you photo your "awning rail(?)" and how this thing looks from underneath, particularly at the van side? Thanks.

FYI, I found an old thread discussing this question where a guy was using a similar setup called Shady Boy. I emailed for info.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #4

I have been looking at the awning by Girard Systems in San Clemente Ca. I have attempted to take a look at them in person at their plant but for some reason just never seems to work out.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks. I really need an electric self supporting awning for my uses.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

I'm intrigued.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
Looks like a possible-possible; but their site is horrible. No pix of what the thing looks like at the attachment point, how the poles fold up for storage, etc. I apologize for asking you to take the time; but can you photo your "awning rail(?)" and how this thing looks from underneath, particularly at the van side? Thanks.

FYI, I found an old thread discussing this question where a guy was using a similar setup called Shady Boy. I emailed for info.
I sold that van, but I took posted some in my build thread. If you have access to a pop up camper, this style is most likely on it. The awning is sewn into, and rolls into, it's bag. Along the length of the bag is a plastic cord that slides in to an aluminum rail which you mount to your vehicle. The bag just hangs from the rail and can be slid out from either end for removal. LenS has this style too and may be able to help with pics. Anyway, here's what I have.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... 925#p87925

Unfortunately, no close pics of how the rail works, but these things are cheap and really nice IMO. Not as slick as a Fiamma but $700 cheaper.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

I haven't put it on yet, but just purchased a Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) awning. The company is most well known for their RTT's, but the awning looks like it will do just fine for a fraction of the cost of a Fiamma.
http://www.cascadiatents.com/Awnings_Me ... m=84&s=585

If anyone is interested, there is a 'group buy' through the end of March that was posted on Expo. I think the coupon code is 'spring'.... here is the thread for anyone interested: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... +group+buy
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
I haven't put it on yet, but just purchased a Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) awning. The company is most well known for their RTT's, but the awning looks like it will do just fine for a fraction of the cost of a Fiamma.
http://www.cascadiatents.com/Awnings_Me ... m=84&s=585

If anyone is interested, there is a 'group buy' through the end of March that was posted on Expo. I think the coupon code is 'spring'.... here is the thread for anyone interested: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... +group+buy
GREAT prices, especially with the discount, on those awnings. I would consider one at one point for my trailer, but I would come up with a better mounting solution than they show on their website, which are L-brackets and hose clamps.

Herb
Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #9

I, too, like the Cascadia awning as an alternate to Fiamma. HOWEVER, we have to compare things to thangs. The F45 S that most people have and kinda expensive is a much tougher item than the Cascadia. To really compare, look at the Fiamma 35 or 35 Sport. Adventure Trailer sells them in US. This is the one usually put on by Jeepers. It costs about what the Cascadia does. One factor for the Cascadia is all the various room enclosures to choose from. I don't know that any of them would last a nanosecond at Q; but otherwise, they'd provide some privacy and weather protection for not much moola. Re the dumb brackets they offer: notice the cases are flat-backed, just like Fiamma's and Carefree's. This means we can use the Z brackets for all three.

I've emailed Shady Boy to see if they are still in business and what the awning costs. I'm thinking of starting with that one. I'm not fond of the fiberglass poles; but it surely looks easy to set up. The best thing going is it stores a 10'-wide awning in a case only 49"L and bolts to the drip rail. I figure if I later decide to go w/ an electric self-supporting one for the "patio", I can easily move the short Shady Boy over to the driver side or to the rear end. Either way, it will not interfere with the Penthouse. Such a deal!

I've watched Girard awnings for many years during my sojourns through almost buying a Class A. Girard provides the uber-high end awnings for the units driven by folks who can afford to eat three eggs for breakfast. I'll be amazed if they have anything for us common van campers; but if they do, it will be Cadillac quality.

Would someone in the PNW near Van Specialties call or go by and see if he's still making and selling the triple brackets that look like Zeta's? If he is and if they are the real deal, he may get boo-coo orders soon.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #10

I have a fixed top, not a pop up top. That being said: I had a Freedom lll (three) awning by Carefree installed on my SMB four years ago. I am very happy with it. Premium RV in La Habra, CA recommended it as they had been installing them for a while with great customer satisfaction and no problems.

They also installed a standard window awning by Carefree over the window in the back on the drivers side. It rolls up. I love it to keep the sun out or the rain out when I have the window open.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote