Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Fire Extinguisher Tip

Doing some maintenance/cleaning on the van today and was reminded of a tip I got from a person who services fire extinguishers. Thought I'd pass it along.

With a dry chemical fire extinguisher the powder inside settles to the bottom. As the extinguisher ages and sits in the same position there's a possibility of the powder caking together and reducing it's effectiveness when needed. Every six months you should turn it upside down. While in this position hold the vertical cylinder part of the extinguisher against your ear. You should be able to hear the powder as it changes position inside the extinguisher. It's not a very loud but you can hear it.

If there is no movement you can try tapping it to break up the powder inside. If that doesn't help it might be time to replace the extinguisher.

Yes I really do this and no I don't think the guy was pulling my leg.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

Re: Fire Extinguisher Tip

Sounds reasonable to me.

Another tip is when shopping, buy one with a metal valve. they can be re-filled pretty cheaply every couple of years at any fire/safety store. Plastic valved extinguishers cannot be re-filled.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

Plastic valved extinguishers are like, what $15? I try to have them everywhere, including the tractor roll bar. Never heard of flipping, the SMB one is stock so I might just replace or service (not sure what type)... been sitting for 6 years I guess. I'm also planning an extinguisher test and training next week- I've never actually used one and I realized it is a good idea to try it before being faced with having to use it, so everybody is going to get some trigger time.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Plastic valved extinguishers are like, what $15? I try to have them everywhere, including the tractor roll bar. Never heard of flipping, the SMB one is stock so I might just replace or service (not sure what type)... been sitting for 6 years I guess. I'm also planning an extinguisher test and training next week- I've never actually used one and I realized it is a good idea to try it before being faced with having to use it, so everybody is going to get some trigger time.
Come on, you just want an excuse to set a fire!

Herb
Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

For practice I can recommend a small pit filled with water and diesel fuel. It's easy to relight so everyone can get a chance. Since it's a gas fire it will only go out if you aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire. Good training.

The pit we used was dug with a D-9 so the fire was pretty impressive once it got going.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Yes that's correct and one reason it's best to mount it sideways in a 4x4 or boat. For the most part the vehicle movement will cause the chemical to “slosh” rather than pound it into the bottom like cement. You're still supposed to change them out yearly though even though I don't.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I've never actually used one
Just remember: PASS

Pull
Aim ( at the base of the fire...)
Squeeze
Sweep

I pulled out an old one a few months ago and decided to see how dead it was. The answer was 'completely'. It's good to check those things once in a while.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #8

My SMB extinguisher is a rock inside. I can hear it slide and couldn't break it up as far as I can tell. Practice and refurb still on the to-do list...

Quote:
I pulled out an old one a few months ago and decided to see how dead it was. The answer was 'completely'. It's good to check those things once in a while.
As in gauge read "OK" but it didn't work?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

So old there was no gauge. Pulled the pin, squeezed the handle, and nothing, not even a puff.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Site Team

So, aside from a Halon extinguisher, what's the best bet for a vehicle fire extinguisher? My extinguisher in my Bronco is a brick, though that's not a surprise given that it's at least 12 years old

Herb