Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

MadScience, LTE-M sounds promising. Do you have any recommendations for asset tracking devices that can use it?

wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

Garage
wish41, I too found that interesting - after a couple searches came across Trax:
https://traxfamily.com/shop/
Interesting they offer 3G and 4G units, and if I read correctly the downloadable App allows you to track several devises with the same subscription (and the units are small). IMO this is unique since its so versatile - could use it for monitoring a person, luggage, in your Vehicles(s), etc.
Battery life is short though - 24-36hrs so you'd have to maintain it...or leave it plugged to the charger in the van.
Subscription costs seen very reasonable as well - 2yr plan is $96...3G Units are in the $149 range, but work World wide.
***Just thought I would share
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
You don't just have to look for vehicle trackers anymore. LTE-M is changing this space pretty dramatically right now. Way lower power requirements than GSM and plan options around $50 per year.
Got a link to the device you referenced?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #14

I install these for fleets but unfortunately am not fa miler with any of the products available to end users. But a couple things to consider

If you do find a plan that allows you to use your own sim look into M2M sims as you might be able to save a few bucks

3G is nearing end of life in the US so if you buy a device that only supports 3G it will most likely be a brick in the near future

Keep in mind the advertised battery life is usually when the device goes into a low power standby mode meaning that update intervals will significantly decrease. The main use of the battery is to keep the unit running long enough to send out a message saying that its primary power source has been lost(think tampering or vehicle being stolen)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #15

Thanks, Twoxentrix! Looks like a good option.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #16

Some great input,wish41 how often are you recharging your Optimus?
I had found this one the other day while searching alternatives as it had a full wired feature.
https://logistimatics.com/product/wired-300/
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Some great input,wish41 how often are you recharging your Optimus?
I had found this one the other day while searching alternatives as it had a full wired feature.
https://logistimatics.com/product/wired-300/

About a week on average. I think battery life depends on the alerts you set up with it. Though a hard wired option would help with the battery life issue, I like the portability and can use it in other vehicles (and other applications as well).
Old 09-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #18
Spr

I have drone mobile. It has a separate battery pack plugged into the GPS tracker and costs about 100 per year (less on multi year service). You can geo fence, track from your phone, you don’t need to rely on 3G or 4G when you are in an area without service, and it alerts you via your cell phone when an alarm is triggered (if you are in an area with service).
When cell service is bad you can access the GPS from your computer via WIFI to see it.
it’s all tied into the conpustar alarm system but as far as I know the battery pack will keep the GPS sensor alive for A while after the compustar system is unplugged
Oh, and I also have Ravelco to try to stop the theft in the first place. The $500 for that seems like a no brainer
Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Well after reading these latest threads about stolen vans,it has got me thinking it might be a good idea to purchase a GPS Tracker.
Read a couple of older threads on anti theft devices and I do have a remote start with alarm system but was thinking a tracker might be a good addition.
Would prefer one that I could wire into the 12V system so that recharging isn't an issue.
I presently have a Garmin Mini tracker for my outdoor pursuits,and was trying to think if I could utilize that considering I pay a $25 a month subscription.
I would figure that stereo manafacturers could utilize the mapping feature utilized in the head unit as a gps tracker somehow.
Anyone have any first hand experience with solutions?
Thanks
Roger

I use the Clifford Smart Start system in my vehicles. This is connected to my full security system in the van as well. If anything happens to the van I get notifications on the key fob if in range, text messages to the phone, and an email. The van can be remotely Armed/Locked, Disarmed/Unlocked, Remote Started, Locked Down, and real time tracking from the phone or Smart Start if needed. This system gets installed into the vehicle and does not need batteries.

If you do go this route, I would research for a quality installation facility. Like all car security systems, the installation quality is as important or more important than the system itself. I also spent about 20 years in this industry and if you want some recommendations, please pm me and I can help steer you in the right direction.

https://www.clifford.com/SmartStart/

Also, some insurance companies give discounts with proof of installation.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #20

One feature I don't see anymore in all the new systems I've looked into, is the ability to shut down the vehicle remotely. My current (obsolete) system includes that feature, along with having hard wired power to the battery, internal back up battery, audio monitor, data logging, sim card balance inquiry, low battery alarm, impact notification (in case of accident) and more. It's feature rich and has no monthly fee other than the SIM card. I'm guessing that using the old SMS system has something to do with this since it was inexpensive in terms of equipment cost. Priority for me would be notification and tracking upon movement, remote shut down ability, hardwired to the battery, and no subscription costs. Has anyone found a similar feature set with the new trackers?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote