Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Heated blanket?

Bought a new heated blanket for the girlfriend. Analog. Plugged it into my 2000watt inverter ran by two deep cycle batteries and the blanket controller started smelling like burnt electrical. Didn't feel hot and the blanket warmed up, but I didn't like it.
Anyone else have this issue?
What are you running for a blanket?
The one I got her is a Bedford from Big Lots.

winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

We discovered (the hard way) that blanket controlls don't always play nicely with square wave inverters. We burned up two controllers before I figured it out, but in our case the controlls seemed to be fully electronic, and the blanket never heated up. A very old controller worked just fine with the square wave, but I had to add a second inverter to solve the problem (this was on a boat with 1800 A/H of batteries)
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Garage
I find that good quality down bags or comforters keep me toasty in any temperature without requiring any power.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I find that good quality down bags or comforters keep me toasty in any temperature without requiring any power.
I have a TNF Inferno 0 expidition bag for winter tenting. But that's mine. LOL She wanted a heated blanket. Not feeling safe with it though.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

I've been really pleased with this. Less power wasted because you're using 12V instead of the inverted.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ter-16171.html
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5555 View Post
I've been really pleased with this. Less power wasted because you're using 12V instead of the inverted.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ter-16171.html

Thank you! I'll add a plug to my power box and try one of these. Tried the analog blanket again this afternoon and again I got a hot electronic smell. Still works when I plug it in, but stinks too much to run in a confined space.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #7

To avoid using the air conditioner at home as much, my wife and I use a Chilli Pad. It can be used to cool you off or warm you up. There is a pad with tubes inside it that carry hot or cold water from a micro-heat-pump. The pad lies on top of the mattress and beneath the body. The water either absorbs heat from the body or adds heat to the body. This is similar to technology in the wet-suit-like underwear NASA astronauts wear underneath their space-walk suits. Hospitals use super expensive similar systems for people who come in either hypothermic or hyperthermic.

We will probably put a Chilli (called that because chilly means cold but chillie is hot) machine in the new SMB, because it takes far less juice than AC. I would only use it with a pure sine wave inverter, however.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote