Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Lightbulb Help me convince my wife to get an Aluminess front bumper

Hi all

The title says it all - can you think of any reasoning to help me to convince my wife to get an Aluminess front bumper?

I’m hoping I can convince my wife for us to get a 2018 or 2019 Transit… then I think i would like to put an Aluminess front bumper on it - $2,250

(with brush guards, but without a winch)

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/trans...-winch-bumper/

…..for protecting the van if we accidentally hit a deer or similar.

Quite a few times we have seen deer by the side of the road, or running along the side of the road as we are driving at night… and it would only take one darting across the road to really mess up the van, and the deer. A pal totaled his car when he accidentally hit a deer that darted out. I recently saw a study that estimated that there are between one and*two*million collisions between vehicles and large animals in the United States every year.

p.s. I should have added... her resistance will be the cost, and also how it looks.

I would say that any collision with an animal is sure to cost a lot more than $2,250, and the bumper would greatly reduce the damage.

we also plan to 'build out' the interior, and if the vehicle got totalled from a deer ... yes we would have insurance, but it would be depreciated value likely, plus a big hassle to re-buy the van and re-build out the interior.

Thanks for any ideas.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Tell her what you just wrote. Sounds like sound logic to me. I pulled the trigger on a big bumper with guard after almost hitting a herd of antelope out in the middle of nowhere one morning at 6:30.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

You're kidding, right??!! Even to talk my own wife into something is like or and requires . And now you want us to talk your wife into something for you? That usually results in

but I can't you. And if your wife ever my wife then I'd wind up and there wouldn't be any for a long time.

So I'll just close by saying
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
You're kidding, right??!! Even to talk my own wife into something is like or and requires . And now you want us to talk your wife into something for you? That usually results in

but I can't you. And if your wife ever my wife then I'd wind up and there wouldn't be any for a long time.

LOL! awesome

best

ever.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #5

Being able to protect the front of the van is paramount. You do not want to have to fix a deer strike. I agree - just sell it to your wife like you wrote it although I still bet she will be a skeptic. Maybe do Google images for front end damage from deer strikes and show them to her in a neat little slide show. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Fantastic !!!! My Wife was in tears from the read.

LosAngeles,
Successfully dealing with the obstacles of Marriage is merely Compromise...What does she want???
Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

$2250 for the bumper + $2250 for wife’s comparable and debatable necessity = marital compromise
Old 08-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

If you have to talk someone into something, you can count my advise out...
well, other than, don’t lead with ‘... I think I would like to...’.
Oh, and, buy it because you can afford it and want it;
Plus, she can stand on it to wash the windows after you talk her into it... then, there’s always the fact that the LED fog lights y’all will Need are gonna look bitchin; after hitting the deer, by the way, the wench (how couldn’t you not get it?!) will help you haul it off the road so everyone else is safe; but I’d end on this note, a van will be significantly out of balance without a REAR BUMPER too... when’s her birthday?
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Site Team

I remember getting high-centered on my Bronco rear diff while out wheeling with my wife years ago, and my wife turning to me and asking why we didn't have 35" tires and a locker. Little did she know that opened the door to a number of upgrades in addition to tires and a locker.

Moral of the story, let it be her idea (but don't hit a deer to do it). Maybe we need a thread highlighting animal collisions that can be the basis for people to convince their significant others about the need for a safety upgrade. "Look what happened to this Sprinter honey..."

Herb
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

so I just google image searched "van after deer collision" and i'm sort of sorry I did

but what i am seeing makes me think that a Aluminess bumper actually would not do hardly anything.

on a related note - check out this cop car that hit a deer as it was doing 100 mph on a pursuit. Luckily the cop only had bruising from the airbags. The deer..... well...

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/video...sponding-call/