Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #31

So bump to my old thread....

I'm still a bit confused... some people think that an Aluminess front bumper with brush guard won't do anything if we hit a deer, and yet some people think it will.

Perhaps somehow both are true? In other words - it may or may not help if we hit a deer?

is it that the brush guard might somewhat prevent the deer from sliding up the hood and thru the windshield?

thanks for any and all thoughts.

J

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #32

I don't have data on comparative test, but a lift in combination with a bumper with integrated bull bar on these vans means that a deer sized animal won't go through your windshield, unless it has been launched in the air by another vehicle. Make sure you get the extra bar in front of grill to keep the carcass from going in engine. Bull bars that are not integrated in bumper tend to do little good , if any... They just bend back into hood and grill on impact, potentially doing more damage than without the stand alone bull bar. So, if you want impact protection from deer , get a bumper with integrated bull bar
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #33

Can't help with the bumper specs but our marital code for things like this is "a must have." They don't crop up often in our 30+ years but when they do, the other side sometimes has to do some serious gettin' used to the idea, and it's not something you just whip out on a whim.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
So bump to my old thread....

I'm still a bit confused... some people think that an Aluminess front bumper with brush guard won't do anything if we hit a deer, and yet some people think it will.

Perhaps somehow both are true? In other words - it may or may not help if we hit a deer? J
^^^^^ good points in Marcel Huijser's post^^^^
Also, your speed on impact & size of the deer are considerations. Stands to reason these two factors will play a big role in answering your question, unfortunatly they are unknown variables until such an incident takes place, so best to prepare for the worst (adequate bumper set-up, AAA towing subscription kept current, and a credit card).
Old 11-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #35
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
An Aluminess bumper might NOT be an end-all, be-all savior in a large animal strike but honestly I'd rather have one than not---by no means would it cause any more damage should such an event occur.

Even if it only protects the radiator, A/C condenser and other up front components and allow you to keep driving it will have paid for itself.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
An Aluminess bumper might NOT be an end-all, be-all savior in a large animal strike but honestly I'd rather have one than not---by no means would it cause any more damage should such an event occur.

Even if it only protects the radiator, A/C condenser and other up front components and allow you to keep driving it will have paid for itself.
Thanks much. Good thoughts.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

^This. Although I've never hit a large animal with the front of my van, that Aluminess bumper had protected the grill and everything behind it...I tend to shove the van through tall brush a lot. Keeps that stuff away from the grill area, what with that tall strong tube arching over the bumper.

Also - the main reason I got my Aluminess - something to hook on to if ever I need to be yanked out of trouble. Got stuck one time when I still had the stock bumper on there and realized there is absolutely NOTHING you can safely hook on to on these Ford vans for a tow. The way the Aluminess is constructed, it gives you two very strong attachment points for shackles.