Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #11

Re: Hi-Lift Jacks

Dave ,
The 60" has no effect on the performance of our Hella Lights whatsoever when using the Blackeye / Yakima combination , remember that these are Fog Lights and the reflector are designed to cast light downward and to the sides . I pre mounted mine prior to drilling and installing to check for this . You are correct though about the length being a little obtrusive but the additional 12 inches will save your Cajones more times than not .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Thanks for the phone call Greg. It looks like I'll go that way. I sent the info to Peter @ SMB.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg greg 4.jpg (410.2 KB, 885 views)

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #13

With the hi-lift exposed to the elements it's considered mandatory to have a WD-40 type lubricant handy. You need that mechanism working freely for safe operation and somtimes you need the WD-40 to get them to work at all. The next caution would be to be real carefull with the handle when lifting and especially lowering heavy loads like the vans. The handle gets away from people all the time and takes out teeth or worse. Get a good feel for how it reacts in your drivway before you need it on a hill, in the rain, at night with a flashlight in your mouth. Folks get sloppy the most when lowering the jack. It's easy to stoke it thru the lock and unlock part of the jacking but when it's midway thru the stroke you need full concentration to controll the weight of the rig on the handle. Like I said play with it in your drive way and even though I've used one many times I still put in some practice once in a while.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #14

Stumpalump is absolutely correct in every way , practice and become familiar with the Hi Lifts operation before you have to use it and keep it lubricated . Two longer lasting spray lubrications that don't just displace water like WD 40 are Tri Flow with Teflon and my favorite for severe application's is a product called BOESHIELD T-9 FROM THE Boing Company .
Greggde
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #15

a 48 will often get ya there...but if yout lookin...a 60in is nice to have!!

mines old..and well used...never missed a beat...and I ALSO use tri-flow...

AND...the last 2ft of my jack handle is WRAPPED in pipe insulation and an entire roll of electrical tape...have it kick back and wack ya in the head ONE TIME..and you'll wish it was padded..

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #16

I used to carry a 48 and a 60" in my XJ. The 48 is nicer to throw around, the 60 give you an extra foot of come-a-long, plus, when you're high centered on a loose dirt hill, the 48 just won't do. I haven't figured out how to put either on/with my SMB.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #17

I ran across a very interesting accessory today for those of you with a quandry regarding the use of the Hi Lift Jacks . Very clever idea
Go to http://www.tliftonline.com or call (925) 234-2711
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #18

The video in that link reminds me of a "tip" I read many years ago about using your Hi-Lift jack to move your vehicle sideways if stuck. I don't recall WHY you would want to move it sideways (maybe you need to move it out of some ruts) but I do remember the technique. You put the Hi-Lift jack under the center of the rear (or front) bumper and jack the vehicle up as high as you can. Of course, it gets unstable with this 3-point suspension but that is the key. When you get to the limit of the jack, you step aside and intentionally push the jack over toward the side you want the vehicle to move. As the jack tips over, the vehicle moves sideways.

Any one what to try it with a SMB?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #19

I have done it with a High Centered Quigley and it is not pleasant but it work's ! i would suggest the attachment of a 10 foot plus rope or strap looped around the upright portion of the Jack for additional safety's sake .
Greggde
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #20

If you are looking for a lubricant & to prevent rust for a long period of time, this stuff is awsome !!!

http://www.fluid-film.com/

No affiliation what so ever. This stuff just plain works great.