Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Home Depot's version of a hi-lift

I've had the same HiLift jack for 30+ years and have had to "rebuild it" a few times; had it Powder Coated black almost 20 years ago. I've pulled a lot of fence posts out with it, dozens of stumps, used it to break the bead when dismounting tires, and even jacked up a vehicle or two.

The same jack almost killed my brother when he was trying to extract his buried K5 from tidal mud in Baja - muddy hands on a loaded handle slipped off and the handle almost took his head off, be careful!

I've used it as a "winch" and it is really cumbersome and slow, fighting the jack and the chains. NEVER use a tow strap or even a cable (anything that stretches) with a HiLift to pull something, anything that "stores" energy and gets released quickly it can be explosive!

You can tell when you are over working a HiLift, I've broken it a few time, thus the rebuilds and the bent handles I've replaced - finally with 4130 chromoly tube . I've looked at the HF Farm Jack, and would not hesitate to purchase or use one - no black magic in a HiLift.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #12

Re: Home Depot's version of a hi-lift

When things under a lot of pressure break, bad things happen real fast. John says don't cheap out on something that is subject to use in a high pressure situation. If something bad happens I bet you will be chanting "I should have bought the Hi-Lift, I should have bought the Hi-Lift" all the way to the hospital.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote