Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Ice chest question

Looking to buy a high-end cooler for our Quad-van. We are off to Sportmobile soon to have a pop-top added and our interior won't even be started until sometime in Sept. For now we will be using a camp stove and an ice-chest; we will have a fridge and stove added to our van. It would make sense to buy a cooler that we can use for our short term needs and still use once we have our fridge.

I am looking at the Engel series of "Deep Blue" coolers. Thoughts on size? I am tempted to go for the 80 quart, but wonder if it would be prudent to go down to the 65 quart and save on some space.

What coolers are you using? Size?

Thanks,
DJM

djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Re: Ice chest question

Check this thread for the cooler ……
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8972

Read this first about the PopTop!.......
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9079

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

portable?
built in?
solar panels? how many watts?
battery storage capacity ? (how many amp hours)

that would be a question i would have......
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
portable?
built in?
solar panels? how many watts?
battery storage capacity ? (how many amp hours)

that would be a question i would have......
This would be for an ice chest that is not powered and portable.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Check this thread for the cooler ……
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8972

Read this first about the PopTop!.......
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9079

Thanks for the links. Regarding the top: I nearly went with the original style CCV 'high top', but wanted something low profile. Considered GTRV, but liked SMBs manual lifting top. I had already put a down payment on my SMB top when CCV announced their top. I am still tempted by the CCV top, as I like what I've read about Derek and have even exchanged a few emails with him -- very nice guy. I do like that the SMB top is manual...I like simple.

Best,
DJM
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

The 2 things that sold me on the Yeti is the ice chest is designed for dry ice and the housing is Grizz proof. Makes for a great seat or step. But they are large and heavy for the size. Ice seems to last about twice as long as a cheap $25 iGLOO. Can't say how they stack up against other high dollar counterparts.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

Coolers are available in two sizes. 1. Not quite big enough 2.hard for two people to move
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
Coolers are available in two sizes. 1. Not quite big enough 2.hard for two people to move
Yes, I think you got to the point of it. So far, I've always had the 'not quite big enough' variety!

Cheers,
DJM
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #9

I was at an outdoors sporting goods the other day and noticed Igloo has a new product line of coolers out called the Yukon Cold Locker.

http://www.yukoncoldlockers.com/models/

They are in the same class of coolers as the Yeti's. There are several things in their design I like compared to the older design 95 qt Icey-Tek cool I have. These expensive industrial type coolers really do keep ice alive longer than the standard ice chest but they are heavy and take up a lot of room inside your van. If you will only need an ice chest for a few days I would suggest getting something like a marine grade Igloo. If you plan on being out for more than a few days you need to weigh the advantages of a industrial type chest and balance that with the extra room you will loose. I would suggest taking your van down to the ice chest store and asking the clerk if you can actually take one outside and sit it in the van to see exactly how much room they take.

This is a picture of my 95 QT Icey-Tek cooler. This was one of the original thick wall industrial coolers on the market. Since I bought this there have been several other brands to hit the market. The big weakness on my cooler is the bungie cord loop lid latch. These coolers take up a lot of room.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I was at an outdoors sporting goods the other day and noticed Igloo has a new product line of coolers out called the Yukon Cold Locker.

http://www.yukoncoldlockers.com/models/

They are in the same class of coolers as the Yeti's. There are several things in their design I like compared to the older design 95 qt Icey-Tek cool I have. These expensive industrial type coolers really do keep ice alive longer than the standard ice chest but they are heavy and take up a lot of room inside your van. If you will only need an ice chest for a few days I would suggest getting something like a marine grade Igloo. If you plan on being out for more than a few days you need to weigh the advantages of a industrial type chest and balance that with the extra room you will loose. I would suggest taking your van down to the ice chest store and asking the clerk if you can actually take one outside and sit it in the van to see exactly how much room they take.

This is a picture of my 95 QT Icey-Tek cooler. This was one of the original thick wall industrial coolers on the market. Since I bought this there have been several other brands to hit the market. The big weakness on my cooler is the bungie cord loop lid latch. These coolers take up a lot of room.
You seem to understand what I am looking for. We will indeed be out for more than just a few days -- the ability to keep ice for up to 8-10 days is quite useful for extended trips. My wife and I plan to be on the road for a least one year, perhaps longer. Size is one of my big concerns: I have used one of my existing coolers to extrapolate how much space the cooler with take. I have decided on the 65 quart Engel DeepBlue http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=60. I've read a third party review and this cooler held ice longer than any other high-end cooler; they are bear proof as well.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
DJM