Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #21

Re: Ice Chests

I have a yeti cooler as the primary cooling unit in my van, it works great. There is a bit of a learning curve though. I first used 5lb of dry ice, broken glass in the cooler within 2 hours. Then I lowered it to about 2lb with supplimentry block ice, that worked pretty good, still too cold though, my beer was frozen! Now I freee half gallon jugs (old oj containers) and just use that. I went to Moab over Thanksgiving and had cold food for 7 days, while the van was kept at a constant 68-70 degrees. Yeti coolers are great no doubt. When I did use dry ice, it only bleeds off at a slow rate, so I don't latch the cooler, no explosions or anything.
Hope this helped.
C7

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #22

Anyone have a built-in ice chest installed by SMB?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #23

I carry an Engel Blue 65 everywhere, on every trip. I use it as a step when camped and it amazing. It will hold ice and drinks cold for a week, and it is stable as a step. Highly recommend it. It also comes with holes set to run a cable lock if concerned with leaving it safely.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #24

I failed to mention that I also carry on longer trips the Engel MT-45 fridge/freezer which fits and plugs in the rear of my SMB nicely. Frozen foods in it, then ice/drinks in the cooler. Cooler comes out as a step, leaving center room open. It has helped us survive several home power outages using the MT-45 by "saving" food from house freezer to it in the van plugged into 12v. We've also found it great during holidays where you can plug it into 110 outlet inside your home, using it for holiday foods when extra space is needed.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #25

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #26

I have an Engel Blue 80 and really like it. I remember when I researched them it tested as well as the Yeti which is obviously a great unit. I went with the Engel because I liked the latches better. The Yeti latches seem to be a bit difficult to manage at times, particularly for women. And what good is a cooler if your wife can't easily get you a beer out of it?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #27

We use this as an overflow for our refrigerator. Refrigerated drugs and vaccines are shipped in these super insulated containers.
They are used once and then thrown away. They are used by pharmacy's, medical centers and hospitals. Best of all, they're free.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02393.JPG  
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #28

Where would a person go to buy them? I see them online with info, but they look like they are items bought in bulk in the medical industry. Ideas?
baybeegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #29

I work at a medical facility, so rather that throw them away, I'd rather recycle them. You might check at you local pharmacy and see if they have any.
I'm willing to save any I get and pass them on, if someone wants to pay the postage.
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
Site Team

Not mine, no affiliation, just passing along. On Craigslist, Los Angeles, Westside-Southbay, under Sporting Goods.
-----------------------------------------------

IGLOO YUKON 70 Cold Locker Hunting Marine Yeti Extreme Cooler - $200 (310)
For sale is a like new Igloo Yukon 70.

Ive had it since last fall haven't really used it. It has a couple marks here and there, but nothing serious.

Im moving and don't have the room for this excellent cooler anymore.