Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #11

The fire extinguisher delivered with my SMB from Austin in 2014 is included in the recall. The Kiddie recall website makes it pretty easy to fill out the date code and model number and request a replacement, which should arrive in 2 weeks or so.

I've actually been leaving the Kiddie at home during longer trips, and instead carry a HalGuard Halotron "clean" extinguisher that's the same size. My understanding is the standard ABC powder extinguishers are terrible to use in engines or vehicles.

Everything gets coated in a corrosive residue that can fry electrical systems, even if they survived the fire. The powder gets in every nook and crevice, which sounds like a nightmare in a van. I would hate for a small cooking fire to ruin the entire SMB build.

Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

The Kidde extinguisher that was in my Sportsmobile picked up one year ago is also under the recall.

And surprisingly it's showing as empty.

Don't know if I'll pony up for a halon one. Pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

My first replacement showed up in the mail today. It's a 4 lbs full metal refillable ABC unit. It came with a wall mount hook, and no strap. So fine for mounting on a wall, but no good in a vehicle, if I can even make it fit.

Other than the packaging gotcha, this is a huge upgrade.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to replace the white 2 lbs one I had in the kitchen, or one, or both, of the red 2 lbs ones I have in vehicles. Fedex shows another package showing up tomorrow, so I'll know more then.

In terms of the mess, in the shop I have both a CO2 and a water extinguisher in addition to a large ABC. You better remember to reach for the right one though. I've not bothered with anything other than regular ABC ones in the cars. I've debated a recycled halon unit for a car with somewhat more expensive parts (not the van).

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

Second one showed up, also a kidde pro 210. I suppose I should figure out a vehicle mount for them. There seem to be a number for the 5 lbs models. I wonder if they happen to be the same diameter.

The box comes with shipping labels to send the old ones back, so at least I don't have to figure out how to dispose of them.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote