Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Re: Looking for quality cargo box or bag ideas

Electric lifts, depending on what I have up there I sometimes unload before I pop the top. The two big boxes that some call the coffin hold two foldable bikes, when we reach our off road destinations they for sure are removed and put on a rack up front .....on road = boxed.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #22

Electric lifts; were they installed at the time or did you have them installed later? Seems to me I've seen something from SMBW that can be used later.
mobilemaster3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

I had them installed as part of the original build however, there is an after build manual top assist electric jack. Give SMB West a call and ask about it. Not sure if its been mentioned here.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
We have the large Yakima cargo carrier box and really like the space and it's relative "security".

Just make sure that all 3 latches are secure before driving, or else:

It didn't even break.
So did the hinge break off that box or is it even hinged?
Mine are and I've never had any problems of the box opening up...even after having a hard time closing it because of too much clothing and soft stuff jammed in it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
I had them installed as part of the original build however, there is an after build manual top assist electric jack. Give SMB West a call and ask about it. Not sure if its been mentioned here.
Yeah, it looks like a cargo keeper for the back of a pickup, but it's got a motor. I want one for kicks even though I have a power top!

The other option is to adjust your spring tension in the manual. If you have a consistent weight up there (or a livable range of variation) then you can get that nice counter balance back (or so I've heard YMMV). There is a link/tutorial somewhere it gets linked to from here on occasion.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #26

Dear Ray (surfgeek33), I am in the process of figuring out how to mount 2 Kyrocera KD135GX-LPU solar panels (59.1" x 26.3") with long dimension in the vehicle fore/aft direction to a Thule system consisting of rectangular load bars that can be slid pretty much anywhere fore/aft in tracks that run along the entire top of a permanent fiberglass high top. From the pictures you posted it appears that you have similar panels although I have no idea what the difference in mounting needs to be with the -LPU and -UPU types of panels. From your photos it appears you have L-brackets attached to the panel. I cannot quite tell how those brackets are fastened to your round Aluminess cross members.

So three questions: 1) what parts and mounting locations on the solar panel are associated with the particular model you have, i.e. -LPU or UPU; 2) how are the L-brackets fastened to the rack; and 3) because I understand the the back sides of the panels are relatively fragile, do you see any concerns about the undersides of yours getting hit at highway speeds by stuff such stones bouncing up off the hood of the van or even big bumble bees deflected upward (I was thinking about a Thule front spoiler to deal with that)?

If anyone else has knowledge and/or ideas about these questions, I am all ears, Thanks!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #27

If you can use your 2" Hitch receiver, take a look at this: http://www.letsgoaero.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pid=17

We have the 34 cubic foot model for our Sportsmobile Sprinter and it is awesome for getting all of the bulky items out of the rig (sleeping bags, tents, stovers, etc...). Iy slides back about 34 inches to allow you to open the rear doors. It also has working turn signals and a lighted license plate bracket.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote