Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 AM   #1

Need help identifying these antenna's.

I bought this Quigley and it has these antenna installed. Control unit was removed but this was left behind.

Ideally, I'd like to purchase the same control unit, plug it in, and get it running. Couldn't find anything that matched that logo.

Look familiar to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
20160724_135823.jpg   20160724_135820.jpg   20160724_135358.jpg   20160724_135348.jpg  

gufferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #2

Was your van a prisoner transport van? They are probably location tracking / communication antennas. They look like REF's antennas.

And you want to have his feature because????
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 AM   #3

Oh, I thought it was a GPS/CB radio combo.

Van was previously used to transport work crews to job sites.

Just googled lowjack and the little logo doesn't match.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

None, of those cables actually look like an antenna cable.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

The rectangular one kinda looks like satellite radio, but I don't recognize the logo.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I know one of the forums detectives will give us the correct answer...until then...looks like communications, maybe one CB, another a motorola type two-way, and possibly some type of video/dash cam too...guess we will see!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

None of those are CB antennas - not nearly long enough to support an 11 meter wavelength. Nor do I think they are any form of PMR (professional mobile radio, such as Smartnet or APCO-25 like police use, or MotoTRBO or NXDN like fleet dispatch), unless it is in the 800MHz band, and even then, they are too short to be quarter wave dipoles, and too tall to be stealth antennas.

The connectors all look more like data than RF, so whatever these are, at least part of the RF circuitry is in the antenna. My guess is that they are GPS/satellite radio and some form of fleet vehicle data over cellular - and depending upon the age of the system, that would be the old CDPD on AMPS, which is the old system that is now shut down, or GSM based data services. Given how not-old these look, I'm guessing probably GSM data services.
Short answer: the rectangular one is likely useless to you. The round one is only useful if you can find the exact GPS receiver it goes with. I would just scrap both of them, and use the holes to mount antennas suitable for your needs.
Wowbagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
None of those are CB antennas - not nearly long enough to support an 11 meter wavelength. Nor do I think they are any form of PMR (professional mobile radio, such as Smartnet or APCO-25 like police use, or MotoTRBO or NXDN like fleet dispatch), unless it is in the 800MHz band, and even then, they are too short to be quarter wave dipoles, and too tall to be stealth antennas.

The connectors all look more like data than RF, so whatever these are, at least part of the RF circuitry is in the antenna. My guess is that they are GPS/satellite radio and some form of fleet vehicle data over cellular - and depending upon the age of the system, that would be the old CDPD on AMPS, which is the old system that is now shut down, or GSM based data services. Given how not-old these look, I'm guessing probably GSM data services.
Short answer: the rectangular one is likely useless to you. The round one is only useful if you can find the exact GPS receiver it goes with. I would just scrap both of them, and use the holes to mount antennas suitable for your needs.
Great info! But now what I wanted to hear. Thank you for the reply.

If I cant find the matching receiver I might have to take your advice and use the holes to wire some solar panels or something.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Same logo on the antenna cover?

Hirschmann Iridium Only Magnetic Mount Antenna | M2M Connectivity

Herb
Old 08-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Actually the next item down on that page appears to be an exact match. A combination Iridium + GPS antenna for satellite communications. Definitely makes sense for the van's previous life as a crew transport vehicle. Iridium is the only way to guarantee data transmission for places out of cellphone range.

Hirschmann Low Profile Iridium + GPS Antenna | M2M Connectivity
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote