Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: New Road Trip Planner app for the Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekai
App is just short for application, which are for any OS. I may make a Road Trip Planner app for iOS also. Thanks for your interest.
Like I said, showing my age. Once upon a time there were things called programs . . .

Don
Yep, I remember calling them programs also when I started developing software in the late 1970's.
I remember having to "compile" my programs, and I remember using card punches and card readers. Damn I'm getting old.

Herb

Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I remember having to "compile" my programs, and I remember using card punches and card readers. Damn I'm getting old.

Herb
Software still needs to compiled and linked, but last time I had to use a card punch was 1980. I remember sending a stack of cards to some mainframe in NoCal and received a response 10 minutes later, usually with an error! Software engineers today have it so easy.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Yep, I remember calling them programs also when I started developing software in the late 1970's.

Herb
Used to get 256k! of memory allocated to my job from the mainframe.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
I'm trying it out.

I can't say I'd recommend it right now, mainly because it doesn't integrate with the Ultimate Campgrounds app which I find indispensable. But it's coming, and I'll post when and if it's ready for prime time.

Also, it seems to be too difficult to find stuff. For example, I was trying to find a state park in OR that was properly named in Apple Maps. But the app found two, and rather let me select it just arbitrarily (and incorrectly) picked the wrong one.

Rob
OK, it's all finally available at the Mac App Store. The Ultimate Campgrounds version 1.3.2 (and above) can send location data to Road Trip Planner version 1.2 (and above). So now you can plan that camping trip with a camping location app and a road trip planner app!
For more info, visit http://www.modesittsoftware.com/Road...ner/Intro.html.
Thanks!
Bill
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #15

Very, very cool. I'm planning a trip back up the coast and I could click on a campground, send it to Road Trip Planner, and set up routes easily. It's so cool in both applications that you can look at all that weather, tide, water temp, and other data for the site. I wanna hit the beach at low tides and this makes that easy to do all in one place.

The only thing I don't like is that it uses Apple's Maps. The bad news is that they aren't very good, and the Maps application is horrible to use. Navigating between two pins you've put on the map, for example, is incredibly difficult. If you're using it on a phone, for which it was obviously designed, it's a bit better. But nowhere near as good as Google Maps. OTOH, Road Trip Planner actually makes the Apple Maps useful. Still wish I could just drag routes like one can in Google.

I'd also like the ability to resize the non-map sidebar so that I get a bigger view when I'm looking at weather or whatever.

Otherwise, it's awesome. I still think the Ultimate Public Campground Project application is absolutely indispensable, and this is a great addition to it. Good work.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #16

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I don't necessarily like Apple Maps either, but I'm glad they are finally available for the Mac. Using Google Maps would have been very difficult unfortunately. Someday Google may make it easier to use them when developing a Mac app, and if they do, I'll look into it more. But Apple may improve their maps in the mean time.

As for the sidebar, the original ideas was it used the iPhone width (320 pixels) so mobil apps like NOAA weather could easily fit. But I'll look into making the width adjustable.

Not sure about dragging routes. The idea now is to drop extra pins where you want the route to go, so that the route joins all the pins and your route goes where you want it to.

If anyone cares to put a review at the Mac App Store it would be much appreciated! As of now there's only one review, and it's a 1 star review

Thanks!