Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Official GoPro Thread

Sounds like an opportunity for an SMB reality TV show.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

They still can't provide a live BT sent video to a laptop. at least that's what I gather but could be wrong. I don't use a smart phone and if I did it would probably be an I-phone. Do the new H-3 cameras interface with all smart phones now (or laptops for that matter)?
Another gripe of mine is there is no rear indicator that the camera is operating. It pisses me off when I drive 15 miles and go out front to see the camera off. The remote shows if the camera is working but many times the battery of the remote backpack dies or the remote FOB battery battery dies before the camera battery gives out.e Seems they don't design them for the type application I'm dealing with most of the time. But I still love the camera
If the III has the remote feature built in but still allows the visual back screen to be used (without sucking down the main battery too fast), that would be nice. I have no choice...either remote or digital back screen.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Sounds like an opportunity for an SMB reality TV show.
SMB Rush???

Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #14

I've had my Hero 1 for a couple years now. take it with me snowboarding/atv/snorkeling.

what i noticed about video taping stuff is it isn't interesting unless you're doing something wicked, eat poop, really good editing or all of the above preferably. I filmed myself eating my quad's handle bar at Pismo beach. So that's what helmets are for.

comes in handy with a hand held collapsible mono pod so I can video/take pics of myself or me and my party. The waterproof case is a must, but like DaveB said the sound sucks in it.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
They still can't provide a live BT sent video to a laptop. at least that's what I gather but could be wrong. I don't use a smart phone and if I did it would probably be an I-phone. Do the new H-3 cameras interface with all smart phones now (or laptops for that matter)?
It's acts as a WiFi hotspot & uses standard HTTP protocol, (it is a small web server), so it can send information to anything WiFi enabled. WiFi enabled dumb Phone / Smart phone / Tablet / Laptop / Desktop / etc etc. Android, iOS Phones & Tablets plus the Remote have a nice pre-packaged interface, but laptop & browser can do the same stuff, just more clunky. The "live" video is delayed by 3 seconds over WiFi, and depending on the H3 firmware version will turn off during record.
BTW The WiFi / remote backpack for the 2 is the exact same thing.

Quote:
Another gripe of mine is there is no rear indicator that the camera is operating. It pisses me off when I drive 15 miles and go out front to see the camera off. The remote shows if the camera is working but many times the battery of the remote backpack dies or the remote FOB battery battery dies before the camera battery gives out.e Seems they don't design them for the type application I'm dealing with most of the time. But I still love the camera
The H3 remote (Im sure the H2 wifi backpack is the same) will tell you if the camera is on or off and the battery state of both. You could always keep the remote charged through a cig socket since your inside the van / vehicle.

Quote:
If the III has the remote feature built in but still allows the visual back screen to be used (without sucking down the main battery too fast), that would be nice. I have no choice...either remote or digital back screen.
That (and size) is really the only advantage the H3 Black has over a H2 with WiFi backpack. Running LCD & Remote together. Battery sucks on the H3 though.
Also, you can't use the gopro remote at the same time as a phone/tablet/etc with the new firmware, it's either one or the other.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

I'll have to look into that... the hero folks told me it will not send a live feed to a PC with blue tooth but that was when they first came out.
Love to see an 8 hour battery life and a good solid lanyard at a minimum, but making sure the camera is recording what I want is kinda important

I don't care about quality, only that the camers is framed correctly and is on. I can't keep looking at the remote while on a trail and would at least want a visible warning on the camera to know when the camera's battery is on it's last leg. For example, your on the trail and you look down to see the camera is off So, how long? What did I miss on the trail?

As far as the remote fob goes, keeping the charge cord plugged in does not work the way I want. Once the remotes battery is full, it automatically stops the charge. You have to unplug it and plug it back in for the charge to re-start. If you don't catch it, the battery will deplete as it sits plugged in. You really have to keep an eye on the charge status; not a huge distraction but because the battery has such a limited life, it's a PITA.

These things have kind of been engineered around not having to look at the camera while it's operating and the design revolve around limited timmed high end sports.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Re: Re: Official GoPro Thread

Quote:
I'll have to look into that... the hero folks told me it will not send a live feed to a PC with blue tooth but that was when they first came out.
Love to see an 8 hour battery life and a good solid lanyard at a minimum, but making sure the camera is recording what I want is kinda important

I don't care about quality, only that the camers is framed correctly and is on. I can't keep looking at the remote while on a trail and would at least want a visible warning on the camera to know when the camera's battery is on it's last leg. For example, your on the trail and you look down to see the camera is off So, how long? What did I miss on the trail?

As far as the remote fob goes, keeping the charge cord plugged in does not work the way I want. Once the remotes battery is full, it automatically stops the charge. You have to unplug it and plug it back in for the charge to re-start. If you don't catch it, the battery will deplete as it sits plugged in. You really have to keep an eye on the charge status; not a huge distraction but because the battery has such a limited life, it's a PITA.

These things have kind of been engineered around not having to look at the camera while it's operating and the design revolve around limited timmed high end sports.
Blue tooth and wifi are very different animals, gopro doesn't support blue tooth. Interesting, i never knew the remote would die plugged in and you need to unplug to force a recharge. Ill need to lookout for that, as I'm sure it'll catche me out.
The LED in the remote does flash a bunch just as the camera battery dies, and that catches my eye. But 2 hours is about all i get withthe H3 under any circumstances, so Im always on the lookout after 2 hours.

BTW, i will usually mount the H3, use my phone or tablet to check the angle / location and set the config options i want, then switch over to the gopro remote of operation.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

So being I'm ignorant to computers, how exactly do I link up with the camera on my PC? Will it just show up like an open public Wi-Fi linkup?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #19

Re: Re: Official GoPro Thread

Quote:
So being I'm ignorant to computers, how exactly do I link up with the camera on my PC? Will it just show up like an open public Wi-Fi linkup?
Exactly. in the settings of the gopro wifi, set it to the option other than remote (can't remember the name) Then Your computer will show a network called gopro or similar, password can be found on gopro documentation. once connected type in http://10.5.5.9:8080 in your web browser. That will connect you to the cameras web server. Click links and play. Ton of info on the gopro forums.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #20

I have the hero2 with wifi backpack and wrist remote and they recently released the iPhone Remote LCD so you can now finally see just what your camera looks like before shooting. It takes very good 1080 wide angle video and photos, and I love it for quick 10 second video BUT I would not rely on this as a sole camera setup. It's a pain to charge all 3 seperate components and mine after a year don't seem to hold a charge in memory well? I love my Sanyo xacti 1080x1920 waterproof camera has a gun style hand grip and good sound and easy menu.
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote