Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #21

Garage
Have a look at this compressor. Pricey but impressive!
Cheers
Darryl

Item # XD3000-12, XD3000 Extended-Duty Air Compressors On Oasis Manufacturing

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Large size Power Tank with CO2 and it tops off really fast. Impressed and a fill lasts a long time.
This is probably the best option for getting to 80PSI quickly.

Other inert/non-flammable gasses work as well, if you're for some reason already carrying them, you just need the right fittings. I've never used them to fill a tire, but I've run an air-impact off a tank of things other than air in a pinch. Do not however, use propane for this.

62lbs??? Wow. But 8CFM at 100PSI is the real deal. Probably another 10lbs in copper leads to hook that thing up a battery.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Large size Power Tank with CO2 and it tops off really fast. Impressed and a fill lasts a long time.
IIRC some race team pit crews used bottled nitrogen properly plumbed to power their on-track impact tools. Its a viable option to a powered compressor and tank system.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark View Post
Have a look at this compressor. Pricey but impressive!
Cheers
Darryl

Item # XD3000-12, XD3000 Extended-Duty Air Compressors On Oasis Manufacturing

If I'm not mistaken the Oasis compressors are more or less a York compressor coupled to a winch motor.

I have a York compressor sitting on a shelf that for years, I've been intending to mount to an engine driven configuration (v- belt). Still on my shelf....

Herb
Old 04-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
I also have a foldable stool that I sit on while filling the tires. Makes the fill time easier to deal with.
I bought a tire chuck that is designed to stay attached to the valve stem while filling the tire, but it's junk. It pops off almost immediately. REF had one that looked a lot like a quick disconnect female hose fitting, and it stayed put every time. Anyone care to recomend one they have had good luck with? Where did you buy it?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I bought a tire chuck that is designed to stay attached to the valve stem while filling the tire, but it's junk. It pops off almost immediately. REF had one that looked a lot like a quick disconnect female hose fitting, and it stayed put every time. Anyone care to recomend one they have had good luck with? Where did you buy it?
I just picked up this chuck off of Amazon to go with the Flexzilla hose I bought to replace the coiled hose that came with my Viair unit. So far so good but I've only tested it in the driveway. It stayed attached to the tire but the Viair isn't too powerful of a compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017S...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #27

I have one of these for that purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With a little bit of grease / oil in it, it's pretty OK. If I use it a bunch in dry dust and don't oil it after, it's less than OK.

I currently have it on just a hose with no gauge. I don't love that config for significant airing up.

Edit: The typical chucks with gauges have a lever or a button that you pull to air up and will measure in the non-latched position. For this you really want the opposite config, or at least something that'll latch in the inflate position.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #28

what about a bicycle pump style locking chuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I just picked up this chuck off of Amazon [...]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017S44ARO

I've tried to use this type of locking chuck many times, and... generally they suck. Again and again they're a disappointment.

I've considered resorting to a screw-on chuck, but what about a bicycle-pump style chuck? These work great on bicycles. Anyone tried them for your van compressor?

-- Geoff
Old 10-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #29

Garage
^^^ that sucks. I just picked up a mv50 for 45 bucks shipped and the only thing I don't like about it is the air hose attachment and had planned on picking one of those quick connects for it. we have what appear to be the same connectors on our tire machine and both balancers and they work great. maybe ill give what mad science provided a link to a shot instead.

the bike tire deal is a great idea either way though. if I had an old pump laying around id give it a try.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote