Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Thanks Ed. The pictures are great.

I'm trying to fins a good solution for us. Doesn't sound the the awning SMB uses will be a good fit, but we need something. It rains a lot here and we need some place to cook and hide out after we put the kids to bed.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #12

Re: Carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Sdwindansea, actually we have thought that we should ask SMB West to use the three vertical awning supports and attach a horizontal powder coated bar to the top of them for Kelty Carports. It would be cheaper and a heck of a lot safer for your vehicle than a heavy awning. The key is that that carport has to be as high as the top of the closed awning, and not the bottom, in order to let the cargo doors open unobstructed.
This is what we were thinking of doing as well. However, we decided against it for the time being at least. The reasons we didn't do this (yet) are the appearance, which really isn't a big deal. Also, we wanted to spend some time with the van first so we can truly find out what will work best for us.

We may end up just using an easy-up type of "awning" for shade. These are cheap and incredibly fast/easy to set up. The down side is that they take up a lot more space when packed and you can't set it up right next to the van (unless you are not concerned about paint chips & dents).
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #13

awning

I may do the same. I already have an easy up. When we transport it, I will throw it up on top. The only hassle is the weight of it. We can move it around and lower it to the last notch when the winds kick up. On an easy up you can also lower or raise just one side to block the sun or rain, etc. Alot cheaper!
Captkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #14

Hi this is my first post. (hopfully this works)
Have my first meeting with SMB Fresno in 2 weeks.
Looking forward to the process.

Would something like this work to support the Kelty Carport?
1" dia rod with u-bolts to a bent plate bracket.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 AM   #15

Carport

Charlie, I think that would work fine. I just measured stuff, and the horizontal bar should be at least 6 to 8 inches above the rain gutter on the van roof in order for a Kelty Carport (or other tarp) to clear the cargo door when it is opened. Also, the carport partially covers the front passenger door too. I think your sketch (great CAD stuff!) shows the front end of the bar starting at the rear of the passenger door.

The dang Fianna Awning, even if pitched precisely, will sag and interfere with the open cargo door, especially if it is raining, something you can avoid with a Carport if it is attached 6-8 inches above the top of the door.

Ed in Montana
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #16

Kelty Carport Mounting

(A little off subject matter for the original post, but...)

Ed, Here is the rack moved 6-inches above the rain gutter. Also with the awning shown.

Not having a SMB "yet" to measure, I have had to make numerous educated guesses when it comes to dimensions etc. in my 3D model. (The model really helps to visualize the options I need to consider.)

I didn't think there was enough room to mount a bracket near the passenger door, so the front end of the rod is cantilevered from a bracket behind the side door.

I think I like this solution better than the Fiamma awning. There is vitually no weight (when driving) with this rack, and therefore hopefully eliminate the cracking that Geoff has (in 7-17-07 post). Less expensive, the Kelty can be set up as a typical awning or down like you have it in your photo for more protection.

Just one of the 200+- odd options I need to consider for my build.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #17

Carports

That looks great!

Yeah, I wish I had known more of the drawbacks for the fixed awning before I purchased it last year.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Hi this is my first post. (hopfully this works)
Have my first meeting with SMB Fresno in 2 weeks.
Looking forward to the process.

Would something like this work to support the Kelty Carport?
1" dia rod with u-bolts to a bent plate bracket.
Charlie - Any update on this? Did you ever make it to Fresno and also did you ever make any kind of "decision" on the awning options? I can't wait to hear what you ended up with.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #19

Geoff

I wanted to wait till I placed my order before replying to you. During my site visit, I discussed the situation of cracking with John K. After looking at how easy the Fiamma operates and how convenient the unit is (ready to deploy)I thought I would give it a shot. Some people have commented on the fact they don’t like the dead-load of the awning up so high on the van. I’m not planning on anything else up on top except for solar panels, so I think it will be okay. It also helped that the housing now comes in black and therefore doesn’t need the additional custom ($) flaking paint. I asked for, and John said they would put additional backing in to dampen the vibration. I don’t know yet how the “additional” the reinforcement will be built, but I don’t think John was “sales talking” me on anything. I will keep an eye on the progress and let you know how it turns out.