Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #11

Re: Porta-Potty

We are using a Thetford 365 in our van.
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/P ... fault.aspx

It has been really good to us and we can't imagine camping without it. I came from many years of Porta Potties in boats and my other van so I was used to them. With a boat you have to have something when you go out all day long and sometimes the water is too cold to jump into, besides there are laws about black and gray water and what you can do with them on the water. So you have to get used to dealing with a Porta Pottie or some kind other kind of septic pump out. My Girlfriend was not so keen on the idea of a Pottie in the van. But when she finally gave in she cant be without it. She will never go even on a long road trip in the van without it just in case. For me its so nice not to have to go outside of a warm van at night and find a place to go. I like that it has a gauge on it to let you know it is getting full. Another thing I really like about it is it has a nice swivel pour spot so it easy to empty. It is two piece so its not too heavy ever and it has a space to store extra chemicals so it can be refilled while on the road. If there is a negative to it the hold down kit is not really that great.

I always used SeaLand brand potties in all of my boats and they were really good as well. They have really strong mounts but the mounts might be in the way for some uses in a van, but they are very sturdy. Not quite as easy to empty but I don't think the Thetford would have stood up to my jumping big waves and poker runs and all of the other abuse the way the SeaLand units did without any problems at all.

One thing that is a must no matter what brand of can you are using is the right paper for the job.
We use only Thetford Campa Chem paper as you cannot use any kind of household paper. It need to be very biodegradable or it will get clumpy. We also only use Formaldehyde free chemicals in ours as we do not like any strong smells in our van. Always lube the seal with the correct recomended lube and leave just a spash of water on the top after use. We also pull the drain out just a bit when we pee and all the way for number two.(I feel like a little kid saying that) Not to be rude and you guys wont want to hear this but I made this a rule in the boats and I still stick to it. Everyone sits to use the Pottie, myself included.

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
We are using a Thetford 365 in our van.
Not to be rude and you guys wont want to hear this but I made this a rule in the boats and I still stick to it. Everyone sits to use the Pottie, myself included.

LOL, we actually have two toilets, I have a Stand Up model: Large Plastic Sport Drink Bottle

Fortunatly we dont drink lime drinks so no confusion :b7:
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #13

Right, Rob.

Green means "GO". Never drink from a green bottle in my SMB either. Keeps the Porta Potty lighter.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #14

Looks like half the folks love the P-P, half hate it.

Half empty theirs when full, half when less than half full.

Half use other storage media.

And half find humor in the whole subject.

Kinda a half-assed subject?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Or a bunch of half-wits.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Looks like half the folks love the P-P, half hate it.

Half empty theirs when full, half when less than half full.

Half use other storage media.

And half find humor in the whole subject.

Kinda a half-assed subject?

Mike
As a big P-P fan, I know that you have given us some wise and experience based advice.

My one inviolable rule is to never let the P-P get more than half-way full. Did that once, and it was quite an unpleasant mess.

But in general, a properly maintained P-P is one of the most valued pieces of equipment in our SMB.

R
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Team

Almost thou convinceth me to use my porta-potty. This is something I have been very hesitant to do because of the mess and stink. But, alas, I should take the plunge and try it out. My porta potty has been sitting in its box unopened for many years.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The most important lesson we learned is to slowly vent the P-P before you use it. If you change elevation you may find an explosion when you flush, and you really don't want to be sitting there when that happens. I slowly vent it before I open the lid. Do it every time and you won't forget the one time that you should have done it.
Mike
Here is my short story.
On our last trip to Death Valley (the Group trip), for reasons better not stated here, we got lots of use out of it. I dumped it at the Furnace Creek station and kept it out on the floor (handy) instead of in its cabinet.
Well...
Furnace Creek elevation -168'
Towne Pass elevation +5,000

The pressure built up expanding the bottom and sides. The P-P turned itself into a rolley-polley doll at the top of Towne Pass. Since all of the water was in the top tank (the bottom was empty thank goodness) it flipped over. I think there was so much pressure in there it would have blown someone off the seat. Lesson learned.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Almost thou convinceth me to use my porta-potty. This is something I have been very hesitant to do because of the mess and stink. But, alas, I should take the plunge and try it out. My porta potty has been sitting in its box unopened for many years.
I've never used my groover either. After reading the do's and dont's on this thread I'm going to break mine out of storage for this weekends trip to the beach.

The porta potty I have is specifically designed as river rafting gear. It's designed to flip upside down strapped to a raft and take a moderate beating without leaking. It appears to be a tad bit bulkier than what most people use for the vans and RVs.

I'll practice dumping it at the rv clean out station this weekend. If I figure out how to dump it when it's full of water I may take the next step and actually use it.

Link to a Selway Fabrication Riverbank toilet.
http://www.selwayfab.com/Products.html

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #20

1. Ours is always tied down.
1a. Reason: safety. Picture getting in an accident with a loss one in the back. It flies forward at 60 mph into the windshield. BAM. The EMS guys wouldn't touch us until a fire truck comes and hoses us off. So we tie it down.

2. Cracking the valve (venting) before changing elevation is always on our daily check list. Just as chkg that the roof is latched.

3..Have never noticed a smell and the "mess" is far less then using a public restroom or outhouse. Changing a poopy diaper on a baby is messier and far smellier then dumping a Port-a-potty. I do keep a box of disposable gloves w the toilet and use them while emptying the toilet. Specially if using a RV dump station, you have no idea who has touched what with what.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote