Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #41

Happy Bowl Biodegradable Toilet Bowl Liners (Original)

$12.33 for a package of 50 the last time I bought them from Amazon.

Happy Bowl

Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #42

I guess I can join the club now. We bought a Dometic porta potti as part of our cargo trailer build out a few years ago and it's never been used. I always told my wife "it will only be new once, it will never be this clean again." Well, on Christmas eve our plumbing at home backed up and one of our little ones had the flu, so there was no "it can wait 'til tomorrow" about it, so it has officially had the seal broken. I'm a plumber by trade, so a little mess doesn't bother me, but I was surprised to find that my wife willingly emptied/cleaned the tank, and she said it wasn't bad at all. I guess that now we don't have any reason not to use it on our trips.

We had originally bought it for camp use in the event that there was not a pit toilet nearby (I have a shovel that says there's ALWAYS a pit toilet nearby) but I can definitely see how it could be beneficial on long road trips, especially with the kids who won't let you know that they need to go until the 30 second warning.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #43

I took out a permanently mounted toilet to free up room in my only holding tank for showers and I have never been happier.
Use plenty of chemical and remember to vent it before you fill it with water and all is well.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #44

Essential and no issues if cared for.

Forget about the Green Enviro tank adds, they do not work. Thetford Formaldehyde based is the ONLY way to go. Add the two to three ounces, and make sure to add enough water to cover the bottom about 1/2” deep. Then if using for #2, make sure to pump a reasonable amount of fresh water in to rinse the bowl and provide water in the holding tank to help dissolve and break stuff down.

We use a couple of drops of the deodorizer that comes in a little bottle. It is part of the “kit”. The Happy Bowl liners are essential. Go for the 550 size, anything smaller is too small.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Glad I found this thread.

So if proper chemicals are used .... are they really 100% odor free?

The curve?

John.
I use mine REGULARLY ESPECIALLY for solids. I have a curve. Absolutely positively put your nose 2” away and sniff odor free, after 2 years of regular use and irregular cleaning. Agree with above: there are worse jobs, get over it. It’s so easy.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
I use mine REGULARLY ESPECIALLY for solids. I have a curve. Absolutely positively put your nose 2” away and sniff odor free, after 2 years of regular use and irregular cleaning. Agree with above: there are worse jobs, get over it. It’s so easy.
Fantastic - thanks Brian! Much appreciated.

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Thetford Formaldehyde based is the ONLY way to go.
Just don't empty into anything like a septic field, e.g. a toilet at a remote park or a vault toilet - they require the bacterial life to break things down, and dumping a formaldehyde treated load will kill the bacterial and break the septic field.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by
After some experimentation, we found a toilet treatment/deodorant that works for us. TST, available from Camping World:

[url="http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/tst-rv-toilet-treatment-liquid/2352"
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... iquid/2352[/url]

You may find other products that work as well. Make sure whatever you use is safe for septic systems.
I agree with the above. TST is my chemical of choice as it always works well.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Just don't empty into anything like a septic field, e.g. a toilet at a remote park or a vault toilet - they require the bacterial life to break things down, and dumping a formaldehyde treated load will kill the bacterial and break the septic field.
I never thought about that, but your completely correct. The anarobic bacteria will die, causing the whole system to become septic, and the waste won't break down. I had biologic waste treatment systems aboard ships, and once in a while the stewards department would use bleach based cleaners that killed the bugs. It became obvous when the smell from the vent pipe would overpower anyone nearby. The solution was to add bacteria tablets that would re-establish the colonys, that and to take away all the chlorine based cleaners.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #50

The second time I emptied our Curve PP this summer, the tank vent valve, spring, and associated small parts somehow came loose and fell into the campground toilet along with the PP contents (thankfully just liquids). Fun times trying to fish the small parts out of the toilet (plastic pasta fork/spoon works well :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote