Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Older thread but I have a questions...

Looking at buying the 300P VIAIR. Can I attach the alligator type clips to the jumper terminals in my '16 Sprinter or does it need to be connected straight to the battery terminals? Anyone have experience with this type of connection? Any issues with fuses or amp draw?

Getting to the starter battery under the driver footwell is a major PIAS. Thanks.

michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
Older thread but I have a questions...

Looking at buying the 300P VIAIR. Can I attach the alligator type clips to the jumper terminals in my '16 Sprinter or does it need to be connected straight to the battery terminals? Anyone have experience with this type of connection? Any issues with fuses or amp draw?

Getting to the starter battery under the driver footwell is a major PIAS. Thanks.
I would think the stud and bus would be designed to handle high amps of starting a dead vehicle so I don't see a problem. A good set of high amp rated connectors would be the way to go. Maybe a good Anderson type plug under the hood. At my work the shop trucks have a plug mounted in the grill area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #13

I have an Anderson plug connected to my starting battery on my van and 4Runner. They are very handy devices. Have added matching plugs to my compressor and also my portable Overland Solar panels. Very convienent way to attach a device needing power. No need to open the hood either.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Anderson plug and see if I can run some wire to either the engine compartment or under the van to place the plug there for easy access.

Now that I think about it, I could probably rig up a small solar battery tender for the starter battery as well and use the same plug....but then I might want to leave the plug in the footwell area. Seems like it should be a multiuse item so placement is something I'm going to need to figure out.

Any other ideas, suggestions, or pointers...please let me know. TIA
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Anderson plug and see if I can run some wire to either the engine compartment or under the van to place the plug there for easy access.

Now that I think about it, I could probably rig up a small solar battery tender for the starter battery as well and use the same plug....but then I might want to leave the plug in the footwell area. Seems like it should be a multiuse item so placement is something I'm going to need to figure out.

Any other ideas, suggestions, or pointers...please let me know. TIA
I use Anderson PowerPoles for my solar setup, and before I swapped out a 12V outlet on my trailer for a dedicated PowerPole outlet, I used one of these, which even has a built in 20A fuse. I still use this for other vehicles.

https://powerwerx.com/cigbuddy-cigar...erpole-adapter

The PowerPoles connectors are nice. I changed out my solar panel cable to one, I added a fuse holder with PowerPoles leads, and I added PowerPoles to my solar controller as well.

Herb