Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #41

Re: Portable Awning

Just found this site, which isn't the answer, but does answer a bunch of questions on how to build an easy awning/canopy. It is for a VW/Westy, but the basic principle is there. Needs some adaptions for a SMB. But I think I can figure it out, or will at least try.

http://bodeswell.org/2010/04/10/el-cheapo-20-awning/

garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp
Just found this site, which isn't the answer, but does answer a bunch of questions on how to build an easy awning/canopy. It is for a VW/Westy, but the basic principle is there. Needs some adaptions for a SMB. But I think I can figure it out, or will at least try.

http://bodeswell.org/2010/04/10/el-cheapo-20-awning/
...that's pretty cool....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #43

I just found a similar one at Gander Mtn online for 40 bucks.

I figured what the heck, we'll see how it goes.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #44

I just bought this one ar Gander Mountain.http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...anopy&i=869753
And will try my hand at making one. I figure raise the top and assemble the canopy, hold it in place and mark on the canopy where the 3 metal 'O' rings for the bungee cord are. Put grommets in these spots to attach carabiners to hold the canopy in place. On our running boards we have channel iron supports in several spots. On the front most and rear most channels I plan to drill a hole on the outer most edge to accommodate another carabiner both front & rear. The upright supports will slide through the carabiners, when on an angle and tie downs tied to them also. Bottom of the upright support will rest on the ground.
Haven't started yet, other than buying the canopy, because of the excessive heat, humidity and my asthma. But plan on taking pics and documenting as I go along, in case anyone is interested. My biggest concern is how much water can the drip rail on the van take with the domed canopy and all. Guess I'll find out and if it's an issue I'll work on that then.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #45

This was our solution. Works great. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8963&hilit=Awning
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp
My biggest concern is how much water can the drip rail on the van take with the domed canopy and all. Guess I'll find out and if it's an issue I'll work on that then.
Test with a garden hose once the canopy is in place.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #47

Thanks for the post! I purchased the screened walls, skirt and suction cups to attach the unit to the roof of my SMB.
jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #48

I purchased two double suction cup handles for my elderly father to use in his shower enclosure to help him with balance issues. I have noticed that the handles have ben very strong and stayed in the position where they were placed. I wonder if they might also work well to attach an awning to the van side wall or roof. They are very easy to install and remove and don't seem to blemish the surface that they attach to. It's not a bad looking awning and I might try it on my Chevy Express AWD van.
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #49

Finally got it done.
I bought the awning from Gander Mountain. Wally worked had a cheaper one ($29.00), but were out of stock/discontinued. Gander Mountain wanted $69 and on sale for $49, but on the web for $39. The local store honored the web price so I bought it.
As dumb luck would have it the size was perfect to reach from one O-ring to the other on the penthouse top with carabiners. The carabiners I found in a close-out bin at our local grocery store attached to bottles of hand sanitizer for $.25 each.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iPIni6pl.jpg[img]
[/img]http://i.imgur.com/Nc99s79l.jpg[/img]

DW sewed on a couple of patches with velcro strips that align with the other two center O-rings on the penthouse top.

The carabiners and the velcro strips provide a secure fit to the top and are easy on and off.

And using only two of the provided poles it makes for a simple awning.

That's my easy removable awning. Haven't field tested it yet, nor even tried it in rain. But we want it more for sun/shade. Don't plan on using it during a heavy down pour. I know that with domed roof channeling the rain down into the open doors is an concern of many, but I feel that this should work. If it doesn't, I work on addendum A (what ever that may be).
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #50

Lightbulb

a ramble on the way through an old thread...

We added a GM tarp like the poster above a couple seasons ago. We really liked it for our little 15ft fiberglass trailer as seen in the image below. As the post above hints, this really is a fair weather sun-awning. We've had ours up in winds to ~20mph and light rain and it faired well...though any more than a light afternoon drizzle at I think it would sweat through the material. Works great as a sun shade!

Cheers,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote