Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #11

I don't remember which Zodi I used, but they're all similar. Mostly differ in size/output as far as I know. The Zodi has to be used with a stove that is a completely seperate item. Something they assume you already have since you're out camping anyway. Personally, I wouldn't use the unit on a stove inside a vehicle. We used it with a Coleman white gas stove and a little butane stove like SMB provides when you give 'em more money. Worked fine with the exception mentioned in my previous post.
The Coleman heater comes with its own built-in heating unit and uses the 16.4 oz disposable propane canisters. There is a heat control on the front of the unit that controls the water temp and it works great.
They are both set up as portable units and are meant to be used outside. We have the SMB shower enclosure that hangs on the rear doors when we need privacy. Hope this helps.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #12

Zodi

The Zodi units that we have used for the last ten years are completely self contained and smaller than the the Colemen unit and have a more efficient heating system . They are half the price of the Cpleman as well and seem to last longer than our Coleman units which we now only use occasionally for Camp clean up .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #13

Zodi

The Zodi units that we have used for the last ten years are completely self contained and smaller than the the Colemen unit and have a more efficient heating system . They are half the price of the Coleman as well and seem to last longer than our Coleman units which we now only use occasionally for Camp clean up . Check their Web Site www.zodi.com
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
how much it will cost if I add the factory hot water

I wonder how much it will cost if I add the factory hot water heater. Anyone have their van retrofitted with a hot water heater and the external shower?

OR

has anyone connected the existing propane to the portable units to the external shower?
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We have the factory water heater and the external shower but they were not retrofits..... but neither have been used in the 4 days we have had the SMB. ....guess we better put that on the test list...

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #16

Jage,
I have the Coleman unit also. I have used their water container when using the heater. It is sometimes a pain to get the pump on the plastic bottle just right so it doesn't leak. On the pump is says "this side up". Have you tried just dropping the pump into a bucket of water without caring which direction the pump sits? I wonder if it really makes a difference. I just purchased a couple of the Scpeptor 2 1/2 gal water containers because they will slide under the bed of our RB 50. I was hoping to use the Coleman with them just by dropping the pump through the larger hole. Thanks. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #17

We have the ZODI extreme hot water shower and it works great. Uber reliable over priced bug sprayer.. but works awesome. I highly recommend it. For the cheap, we also have a solar shower. For hot drinks like coffee and hot chocolate we use the stove and a pan of water.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #18

Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater Propane

Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater Propane

I recently mounted this unit to my inside back door. I permanently mounted it, but it could easily be portable. Its really meant for outdoor use but once my back doors are open, "its outdoors"

Ive tried other hot water heater options like a heat exchanger from the engine but that sucks. Try breathing in diesel exhaust fumes while taking a shower.

This unit gets HOT and is totally adjustable. I installed all quick release water connectors and I used compressor hose quick connects for the propane.

I bought it on eBay for $129 but there are tons of sites that carry it
Attached Thumbnails
L5-2.jpg   L5-3.jpg   L5-4.jpg  
onelegwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Re: Portable Hot Water Heater

Looks nice and compact. I like my rear shower but prefer using a pop up shower enclosure. I have a set of old tent poles and nylon tarps that I use as a shower curtain similar to Surfgeek’s awning setup only it hangs down and keeps me in check with the public. It also helps keep water and insects from entering the rear of the van. But its one more thing to tear down if I want to leave camp so the pop ups are less trouble for me and serve a duel purpose.
Does it require pressurized water or does it have its own pump?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote