Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Propane hose and/or adaptors?

I would like to use my outdoor Coleman stove but don't want to purchase disposable propane canisters if I don't have to. Is there some sort of hose that will go/adapt from my on board propane to the stove? I'm assuming there might be pressure issues as well as connection issues...but can't find any info. Does this even exist?

Thanks-
Dan

Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Propane hose and/or adaptors?

This is on my list of things to do as well so I am interested in the answer. My plan is to cut a tee into the gas line under the built in stove, install a valve and connect up a removable hose that goes to the stove. Like Dan, I do not know about the pressure from a canister vs the on board tank. I know that Coleman makes a adapter hose that goes from a bulk tank to the stove.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

Re: Propane hose and/or adaptors?

I'm a half step ahead of you on this.
I have an external propane feed and the hose to connect to the Coleman.
The stove will light, but only with a small, useless flame.

I think the problem is that the van has a regulator at the tank and distributes low pressure gas.
The Coleman has a regulator on its feed hose and expects high pressure gas.
I'm guessing that the double regulation cuts down the volume it can deliver.

I guess the next step is to find a fitting that will replace the one on the stove but without a regulator.
I really need a way to use both end fittings interchangeably so the stove can still be used with portable tanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

Search the web for extend a flow, or extend a stay deluxe, this provides a T fitting between your tank and regulator. The extend a stay deluxe will give you both the ability to come off to a high pressure appliance, or use an external tank to run your on board propane appliances.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on the extend-a-flow. This will solve my problem with the stove and let me convert my portable generator to LP also.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
pud

You can get hoses on ebay for this application.
I did for my van and it's 7 gallon tank.

I just picked up this adaptor for $20 from Harbor Freight that allows you to refill your little disposables from a larger tank. Get 'em while they're still legal !
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-45989.html

(use with caution)
pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Interesting...but is the pressure form a 5 gal tank (which this adapter is made for) and on-board propane the same? If so, which hose did you purchase?
Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
I just picked up this adaptor for $20 from Harbor Freight that allows you to refill your little disposables from a larger tank. Get 'em while they're still legal !
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-45989.html

(use with caution)
I have heard that the valve on the small bottle will not continue to seat/seal properly if you do this. Anyone know about that?

As shown, only some gaseous propane would transfer. For liquid actually to transfer, one would need to tip the small bottle over so that gravity would cause the liquified propane to flow downward into the smaller container. There also is the problem of the gas in the canister needing to be displaced so as to provide volumetric space for the liquid coming in. The connection looks too small for that to happen. Thoughts?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

In my experience, the problem is not the valve seal, although that may be why the cylinder warning sticker tells you that it is illegal to transport them if they have been refilled. But in order to get a decent fill on the little tank you have to chill it in the freezer while simultaneously warming the big one up to get a decent pressure differential. Even then you don't get a full 'fill'. It's quite a bit of messing about for not much reward. I gave up on that after doing it a few times and started looking around. I found the appropriate hoses and adapters are available all over the place, usually for about $10. Now the only green cylinder I have is the one my son uses for his Airsoft pistol and he does the refilling on that. I do not miss them at all.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

See my award winning expose: "Do You Have Gas?". There's just enough room between the valve and regulator to fit a bulk tank fitting that off which one can run anything.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7202&hilit=+do+you+have+gas

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote