Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Pull Pal/Land Anchor

Does anyone have any experience using the Pull Pal or Land Anchor? Is it durable enough to handle the weight of these units? I would like to buy one for thoes desert runs but I don't know of anyone who has one, nor has used one in a pinch.
Thanks Woot.......
P.S. I hope this isn't an over post but
I'm sure it has been covered somewhere.

WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #2

Been out for years, no problems that i've ever heard if used correctly. No personal experience to offer. They do offer a 14,000 lbs version that would cover us no problem.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/pullpal/
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

When I got mine (around 7 years ago) there were two sizes. I got the small one as it was for my Jeep. Worked great there and now I've used it several times with my van. The smaller size has been fine and once this was with the van buried up to the frame in loose gravel in a river. No traction what so ever. Pulled me out just fine. The smaller size also fits in the rear under van storage box and I like that.
You need to remember, that your vehicle has tires and therefore, under most any situation, you are a rolling load. Not dead weight like hanging off of a cliff. (I'd try and stay away from those situations. ) Most times I've needed it, I was just bogged down in mud, snow or sand and the thing worked like gang busters. Sure beats removing the spare tire, digging a hole, attaching the winch cable, and then burying the whole mess to pull yourself out. Then of course, you've got to dig it up and hang it back on the rig. Do that a couple of times and you'll pay Pull Pal anything they want.
I wouldn't be in the desert without it. Works just as advertised.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
PR

Pul-Pal

Hi All,

This is a tool that is a must have, if you travel by your self or find your self stuck at times. I tested it for the Gov. and it rates five stars. I will be in Southern Ca. for a while so if anyone would like to see how it works feel free to come play with the Pul-Pal. I liked it so much I became a dealer.........
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

Thanks for your replys! PR, I'd love to come down to check it out for myself but work doesn't allow but for so much play. After doing some more research I guess that I will need to break down & buy one. I would think that it would pay for itself in the long run anyway. What is the price for comfort/safety?
Thanks Guys, hope to see you on the trail
Woot...........
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

Garage
I'm about to buy one of these. Scatter's experience indicates that I only need the small one. The manufacturer recommends the large one for our size rigs. I think I really want the medium sized one (11K pounds). What the hell?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #7

I would say you need one that is stronger than your winch. You want the winch to fail before the pull pall comes apart (and becomes a missle).

Yes, you probably won't use the full capacity, but if you ever do you want something else to break first. If you're frame deep in a mud hole and don't have the snatch blocks to reverse pull with your winch, and the tire's blown a bead, are you really going to look at your pull pal and say: "I better not use this because it's not rated for this situation."?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #8

You guys are right on not wanting the Pul Pal to fail when you're using a winch and something breaks. It is way more than real serious when a cable or your hookup fails! I've had a broken cable cut off a 6" dia. tree like it wasn't even there.
However, the folks at Pul Pal told me that the smaller one will work fine for a larger rig, it will just slide thru the ground at less force then the larger one will. They said the anchor will move before anything on it will break. I have had this happen in very soft sand and then had to reset the anchor at a better angle. I'm not telling anyone what size to get, I just have the smaller one because it was purchased for a smaller rig, and it has worked fine for me with the SMB too. But, the biggest plus for me is that it fits in the under rig stroage tub. That's a big thing for me as I hate stuff that I hardly ever use banging around in the way all the time. No matter what size, I'd sure get one before heading off solo into the desert sands.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

Pull Pal

Scatter is correct in that the smaller Pull Pal is more than enough for the removal of our Sportsmobiles . I have had used the large and the small unit and really didn't notice any real difference with the exception that the large unit bites a little more quickly and plows itself into the ground a little deeper . I really appreciate the smaller size as it is easier to store . We used carry a fifty pound Dansforth type marine anchors that we modified and after popping one of these anchors free at a critical time you can really fall in love with the Pull Pal . Scatter could you take some photographs of how you are transporting yours , I am currently carrying mine smaller unit on our roof rack .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #10

Not much to take a photo of Greggde. The two sections just lay in the bottom of my under floor storage pit. (That's the one that takes the place of the stock under van spare tire location) I just lay it in there and all the rest of my junk gets tossed on top of it. That means that I have to unload everything out of the back of the van to open the pit and then remove all the junk out of there to get to the Pul Pal at the bottom. But, considering how often I don't use it (even with all the dumb places I go alone) it works for us. Besides, moving all that stuff around gives me a little time to think on how to get myself out before I do something rash and make things worse....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB