Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Garage
Recommend me a rugged propane BBQ?

My wife and I like to BBQ while we are camping... however, I HATE all these rattly, flimsy thing tin BBQ's! We've gone through one per year over the last few years... They rattle themselves to bits just driving on gravel roads.

Can anyone recommend me a good rugged BBQ that will last me years to come? I am willing to pay decent money for a good one if it will stand up to some abuse on the trail.... I just have no idea what ones are sturdy and what ones are overpriced shiny metal.

ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Recommend me a rugged propane BBQ?

I've beaten the hell out of my Weber gas grill. I bought a second one several years back but the old one just keeps going. I would also like a well made grill but the Weber is cheap, and easy to stow being it's square. My guess is that the charcoal Weber model doesn't last as long as the gas types. I like some of these high tech SS grills but I want a BBQ that you can cook with that has a cover. One of these days I'd like to design a sturdy one similar to the Weber that can be used as a gas or charcoal grill.
Here is a great thread that might help:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6275

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
Site Team

A good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14019&hilit=+teardrop

Herb
Old 06-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #4

I'm pretty happy with my Solaire Infrared Grill. http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html

It finds inside my aluminess box and the grill mounts fashioned by PrG for the ladder are pretty slick. http://productresearchgear.com/solaire-grills/
Attached Thumbnails
solaire2.jpg   solaire1.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Those solair grills are nice, but you can't use them with the lid on, says so on their website, which means you can't use it as a little smoker by putting soaked chips in a tin on top of the burner with the lid on or putting a fresh caught salmon on a cedar plank under the lid, which I was doing up in AK with my Weber go anywhere gas grill. Of course, it all depends on how many times you're planning on being camped out in the van, down by the river, up in AK catching salmon, or anywhere else, I can't wait to get back up there!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

We have used one just like this for years and it has been wonderful. Kuuma has a similar bbq available in Charcoal or Propane (one or the other). You can cook with the lid down, it packs up clean and does a great job grilling.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor ... pid-777514 (This is a great price, by the way.)

Attached Thumbnails
BBQ.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Those solair grills are nice, but you can't use them with the lid on, says so on their website, which means you can't use it as a little smoker by putting soaked chips in a tin on top of the burner with the lid on or putting a fresh caught salmon on a cedar plank under the lid, which I was doing up in AK with my Weber go anywhere gas grill. Of course, it all depends on how many times you're planning on being camped out in the van, down by the river, up in AK catching salmon, or anywhere else, I can't wait to get back up there!
Yes, that's true. And also serves to illustrate the fact that in different parts of the country BBQ=Grill and in others BBQ=Smoker.

Smoking meat is an entirely different thing all together and while I have a smoker at home, on the road I just want to grill my meat, get er done, and eat it.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Still, no matter what you call it I always "BBQ" on the grill with the lid on. I made an extension ring for my Weber and I can cook two whole chickens in it with the lid on. When the ring is not in use it slips onto the outside of the lid for easy transport.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Still, no matter what you call it I always "BBQ" on the grill with the lid on. I made an extension ring for my Weber and I can cook two whole chickens in it with the lid on. When the ring is not in use it slips onto the outside of the lid for easy transport.
That's a great idea.. I'm limited to about 8 pounds of pork shoulder on my Smokey Joe. If I added a few inches of height I could do 12 or more!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

A propane grill will work for smoking with a small pan of water and wood chips. but I think we can all agree that BBQ can mean many things. It is typically meant to imply long and slow but also can refer to a social gathering during which grilled or smoked meats are consumed. Or, vegetables but where's the fun in that.

I see a Boston Butt in my near future.