Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #31

Garage
I run a Lil' Buddy if I can't plug in and a milk house heater if I can.
If I'm running the Lil 'Buddy I leave a window open a bit.
The refill adapter for the 1# propane bottles is a must!

Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #32

I do the same as gahamby. But with a little heater stirring up the air is key. I run a little fan on low to blow that glorious heat around the van. Placed perfectly it blows across the space just above the heater.

In our old poptop Vanagon, when running the Little Buddy, without the fan we would leave the top down and still be cold in the downstairs bed. With a small fan blowing over the top of the heater we had to pop the top open and still were throwing off the covers it was so warm inside. This was while camping in 10 degree weather. In both cases we had the drivers window cracked an inch and had a CO Detector.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Most people get the little buddy portable propane heater. I have one and it’s awesome. Heats the van right up in about 10 min. Has an auto shut off if it detects CO. Runs off 1 pound propane bottles that slot right in, so there’s nothing extra. You can get them on amazon.
I have the buddy heater and it is great for occasional use, I also keep in the car for emergencies. These things are a pig on gas though, would recommended you get the a small 5/10LB Tank with a the hose connection if you want to use it all night. A 1 pound tank only lasts about 2 hours on the low setting.

One thing to mention this thing DUMPS a lot of vapor so there will be lots of condensation, water pooling and freezing if your running this inside without ventilation.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #34

Boywonder,
Yes it does....a leftover from actually having a propane system, which is no longer there. Am looking
very hopefully for heater, fan, cooking methods that
are electric, but don’t pull too much power from my batts. Any ideas? I am very willing to listen!
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Boywonder,
Yes it does....a leftover from actually having a propane system, which is no longer there. Am looking
very hopefully for heater, fan, cooking methods that
are electric, but don’t pull too much power from my batts. Any ideas? I am very willing to listen!
Thanks,
ConnieKat
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ill-14253.html

Many of us here use these for cooking......the stoves work quite well..

..and as it turns out buying the gas canisters for these is now illegal in California.....ouch
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #36

They do come in dual fuel models. I have a Propane/Butane unit that works excellent on propane

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #37

Boywonder,
It appears that the only thing lately that’s not illegal is -ta ta- illegals! Things are getting very bizarre, even Colorado. Thanks for the advice on the stove. I have a small alcohol stove from backpacking. But I’m a bit concerned about being able to cook inside the van if necessary, so hoping for something safe. Do you consider portable propane stoves to be safe for use inside the van?
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage
I've used the butane stoves like Boywonder is referring to as well as propane stove like the Coleman type but I'd never use them as a cab heater. For cooking inside, keep a window cracked for oxygen. They do add moisture to the cabin but I've never had a problem. I still have my butane model but rarely use it because I don't want to haul two different fuels plus propane is easier to find. All my outside stuff is powered by a 1 gal propane tank with T's to operate the lantern, stove and BBQ. The butane stoves are nice and compact but compared to many backpacking types, the grate platform is large and supports larger pots w/o fear of falling off the stove. On the flip side I found the grate to be so large my little espresso maker tips easy.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote