Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

Single burner stoves?

I need a single burner stove for my propane-less home brew. Right now I'm using my backpacking stove when I need to cook/heat water in the van (I have a big -- too big -- classic Coleman liquid fuel stove for use outdoors).
  • what brand of butane stove does SMB sell? How readily available are the canisters?[/*:m:1om9rfcf]
  • does anyone have experience with the Coleman single burner stove that uses Coleman Fuel (I prefer not using cannisters if possible -- not good in landfills)[/*:m:1om9rfcf]
  • Any other suggestions?[/*:m:1om9rfcf]

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: Single burner stoves?

What else do you have to cook with ?

...I ask because we chose to not have a propane system, and we bought a portable propane stove, and have never used it. It is no longer in McBeast. We carry a small George Foreman grill; that with out microwave covers a lot of cooking. We have added a small crock-pot (that fits in the sink) and we added an Xpress Redi-Set-Go.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

I've read about refilling your own 1lb propane canisters from a 20lb tank with an attachment. Never done it, but if you want the green bottles to stay out of the landfill (although they're steel I believe which shouldn't be going in a landfill anyway)... anyway something to look into.

I really like the butane stove, and don't like my 1lb bottled stoves anymore. Then again I might go back to the old skool pump-to-pressurize if I could find one.

The butane is not readily available. I've found it here or there (Big 5 sporting goods carries it but REI, Sportsmans Warehouse, Dick's, and Gander Mountain don't). It has never been too big a problem, but I have to make a specific trip to Big 5 to buy them.

Another bonus to the butane is they fit in the van door...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

One un-bonus of butane is that it doesn't work when it's freezing; (for those of y'all who have a proclivity for camping in the snow. )
Bill
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
What else do you have to cook with ?

...I ask because we chose to not have a propane system, and we bought a portable propane stove, and have never used it. It is no longer in McBeast. We carry a small George Foreman grill; that with out microwave covers a lot of cooking. We have added a small crock-pot (that fits in the sink) and we added an Xpress Redi-Set-Go.
Nothing. This is a homebrew, so while I have a 4D house battery to run 12V stuff, I don't have a solar system to recharge after a heavy drain or an inverter to run 120V stuff, so no electrical cooking capacity. It's a basic car camping setup, cook-wise. And 90% of the time I cook outdoors, anyway.

The Coleman one-burner stove is a pump-to-pressurize. The only downside that I see is that it doesn't have a wind-break (which of course doesn't matter inside the van); I'd like some more information about stability and power. The advantage is that I carry Coleman fuel anyway for my lantern, and there are no little propane cannisters

(Jage -- I'm told the newgreen-tab 1lb propane cannisters can be recycled, so they stay out of the landfills. I'll have to look into that.)

It looks like there might be two models of the pump-to-pressurize stove:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-1-Burn.../dp/B0009PUQAU

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-550B72...ef=pd_sim_sg_6

The latter one burns on kerosene as well as Coleman fuel and gasoline; this doesn't seem particularly useful.

I'll keep digging for reviews. Thanks!

--Meredith
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
The latter one burns on kerosene as well as Coleman fuel and gasoline; this doesn't seem particularly useful.

I'll keep digging for reviews. Thanks!

--Meredith
Do you have a spot to carry a propane tank? I carry a small 1 gallon tank that has a fuel "T" which serves me well. The tank lasts for well over a week with morning/evening daily use. I have a mini 1 mantel Coleman light that spins on top of the tank and carry a hose which connects a weber BBQ. I also have a 1 burner stove that can be used on a table using the hose or screws in place of the light. Good luck on your quest. There is always Iso-propane also as an alternative like used in backpacking but still a non reuseable canister.

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
rnj

I don't think SMB sells single burner stoves anymore. When I asked SMB-Tx about one they recommended Camping World.

Randy
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #8

Target carries the single burner butane stove and refill bottles. We travel with two stoves.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Site Team

I've got one of the Coleman Peak stoves that uses white gas (Coleman Fuel). It's the kind you pump up and I absolutely love it. Can't say enough good things about it.
Lindy Point Overlook, Blackwater Canyon the weekend before last.

I bought it used and have had it for years. I camp a lot so it's gotten more than it's share of abuse but with never a problem. Haven't had to use a wind screen. As long as I can get a lit match to it.
My plan is to always take it with me as a backup to my van's electrical cooking system.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #10

as Wilson is a huge cause of global warming and ozone depletion at Zero miles to the gallon
i am not too concerned about propane bottles

if i was gonna go compact, i would use the below
(i googled single burner propane they are less than $20)

but for Us, we have tons of space and the slim coleman two burner works fine

but i DO like the one below

( i also have used the multifuel back pack stoves quite a bit, and also spilled more than a few meals)

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote