Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #11

Garage
Thats unfortunate, mine fits perfectly and have had no issues with "gaps" or bug intrusion. Curious, Did you purchase the screen SM sells?

Old 08-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #12

screen with magnets

Do you have a photo of your modified bug screen with magnets sewn on? I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtnt View Post
I did a bit of sewing and added magnets to ours. Did this for the rear door screen as well. We initially did velcro on the back but it made the doors not seal as tight and we got some water leakage. Tore off the velcro and used the magnets instead.
rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #13

Trying again-screen magnets

Well I did not have 100% success with the magnets. The strip magnets were not strong enough to hold the weight of the screen so ended up putting Velcro on the top again (see prev posts by other folks), rather than order stronger magnets. I still think it would work.

I kept the magnets in the screen as they help it stick to the sides and we open via the sides as our zipper is problematic. I will post pic of my sewing of the screen- I folded new screen around the magnet strip and sewed it to the main screen.
dawgtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

SMB bug screen doors

We bought a screen door for a sliding glass door. It had a magnetic closure.

https://www.amazon.com/MAGZO-Magneti...eb_18326600011

We then cut it to fit the van doors and sewed 10 mm rare earth magnets around the perimeter I think they are spaced about every 2-3” across the top and 6-8” on the sides and bottoms. There is a ribbon that edges the screen and small pockets are sewn in to hold the magnets.

The magnetic enclosure works great and the perimeter magnets hold the screen in place without the mess of the adhesive Velcro on the van.

We used the extra screen from the bottom to make screen covers for the driver and passenger door windows.

It only cost about $40 per door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	29019

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	29020
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #15

Never found the screens to work well. Fine for short wife but not me. They open to make an inverted "V" shape door. Big at bottom but small at the top. Always got my shoulders hung up on the screening. Not easy to to get in and out. Once through the door though the magnets worked as intended and closed off the opening. Eventually got rid of it. I found it more work then it was worth.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote