Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

SMB bug screen doors

So I purchased an overpriced bug net for the side door of our 2012 Ford E350. Having some challenges attaching the net. The top, left side (looking at the van from outside), and bottom of the door is pretty straightforward where you attach the Velcro, but the right side? There is not a straight smooth surface - door hinge, wires, etc in the way. Can anyone explain or provide pics on how to attach the screen?

Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Garage
Best to stretch the netting across the area to be covered (requires 2 people) just to get an idea of approximate contact points - Then apply the veloco to perimeter. Yes you will need to work around the contours of the right side door frame (I bypassed the hing and where the wires from the door enter the body, and it still fits flush and tight).
I started the application by applying the Velcro across the top (stuck it across the bottom of the drip rail) and then attached the screen allowing it to hang down - this reveals where to run the rest - once net is in place it will look and function fine.
***Note; If you stretch it too tight you will have some issues closing the doors with the screen still in place, likely will create some holes/tears in the screen. So I allowed a little play this way we didnt have to remove the screen to close the doors when we retire at night or lock up for the day.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Thanks! Did you run Velcro across the bottom as well?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Garage
Yes, velcro is applied all the way around (except a small section in the middle of the right side where I stopped the velcro where it would contacted the wire & hinge).
Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Garage
Here are some pictures of a Sportsmobile's factory installation on my 2001 E350. Notice they didn't velcro the bottom of the door jam (or the previous owner removed it) and the rest of it was installed in a continuous strip. Sorry, but I can't comment on how the location(s) work as I have never actually used the screen... Also let me know if you need any close up pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Velcro 40 door.JPG   Velcro.jpg   No velcro bottom door sill.jpg   Velcro upper door jam.JPG  
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
SMB didn't put velcro on the bottom on mine either. It would make getting in and out a bit difficult I'd think. Also Mine came off so I used weather strip glue to put it back on.
Attached Thumbnails
3m.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Try these bug screens

They use magnets instead of Velcro.

https://theskeeterbeater.com/

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Thanks - the photos are helpful.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

I did a bit of sewing and added magnets to ours. Did this for the rear door screen as well. We initially did velcro on the back but it made the doors not seal as tight and we got some water leakage. Tore off the velcro and used the magnets instead.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #10

Thanks for all your messages. I attached the velcro given your suggestions and photos. I have to say that I am quite disappointed given the price of the bug screen. I thought it would fit like a glove and be contoured to the door opening - NOT! The issue seems to be the right side of the door with the hinges and wires so it doesn't fit snug. I attached velcro on the bottom of the door from the sides up to the zippers but this caused the screen to bunch up creating space for bugs to get in. I think I'll DIY for the rear door.