Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Re: snow chains or cables?

I would go with the cable chains, (and practices under optional conditions)
4 - 50# bags of traction sand (the bags that don't freeze - don't forget a knife to open the)
ice melt.
Warm clothes, with traction on the boots (sheet metals screws work well)
traction mats (preferable one for each tire, though I only have two)
shovel long enough to reach well under the van in the event of high centered
I do have the studded tires with a 3/2 pattern. though it is rough riding, air down if needed
Slower speeds and allow plenty of stopping room

Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
  • what are the merits of cables vs chains?[/*:m:2b46e3be]
  • for either one, are there particular patterns (ladder, diamond, Z) that are preferable?[/*:m:2b46e3be]
I have ladder cables and diamond chains for my van. I've never used them except for a test fit. If you're sure you're going to use them, I'd say invest in diamond chains. I take both whenever I think I'll actually need them, but I'd rather have the chains over cables, but I'd put cables on before doing both unless it was really, really nasty (Chains in back, cables in front on 4x4)

Even so when I don't think I'll need them I take just the cables. Freak storms and not watching the weather, I want to have something. I have no reason to believe that 4x4 plus the cables won't be sufficient, as 4x4 alone is usually sufficient.

The cables are lighter, but become a large, unbendable circle, which is tough to store in a readily accessible place- I don't want to be unpacking the XL underfloor on the side of an icy highway- and a tad unmanageable. The chains, while heavy, store a little easier, but the cable guides still make a circle- so it's not exactly a pile of chain. I'm not sure if they exist, but 100% chain, s.t. you can store them in any shape volume would be something I'd look for.

Then again, I don't believe I'll ever have to use them, so take it with a grain of salt!

I'm sure I'm not anywhere near on your way or way back, but the driveway is always open if you want to stop by.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #13

From what I see, driving the i80 over Donner pass twice a week in winter, the chains are mostly there to slow down folks, who are likely running summer tires, while giving them some traction.

I run aggressive all-season / mild winter tires (currently conti dws) with awd and have never needed to chain up. Not by CA law or due to slickness. I don't however live on a particularly steep road. I know plenty of folks who live up there, who will run snow tires on a two wheel drive and stick some awd badges on their cars. They do just fine. I'm not in love with the potential liability aspect, so I won't do it. I also much prefer awd if I'm holding the car in a drift for close to an hour.

Mostly I do this commute in an awd wagon, rather than the van, so I do on occasion wish for more ground clearance to help me get out of the driveway first thing in the morning. Still, not something chains or cables would help with. I do carry chains since I'm legally required to, but I've never put them on, and don't expect that I ever will. I do use a shovel once in a while. So yes, do pack a shovel. I wouldn't travel in the winter without one (digging by hand can be done, but it's cold, wet and miserable).

I also have one set of ladder chains for the van. Also never used, but I do carry them on trails if there's any chance of rain. Not sure if that's wise; as much as I drive plenty in snow, I'm really a novice off-road.

So, to answer the OP: If the tires are good, I'd get whatever I minimally had to to satisfy legal requirements. Not sure about CO, so check locally, but in norcal, they don't check to make sure that the cables you have actually fit the vehicle. In socal they do. I would pack decent clothes, shoes and two pairs of insulated work gloves (maximize chances of a dry pair) and source a shovel locally (actually I'd pack my largest avy shovel, but most folks don't have lightweight shovels that they are used to traveling with).

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #14

I run Les Schwab Quick-Fits. I have a set for each end, and a couple sets for the trailers.

Since I've switched to M55 tires (almost 80,000 miles now on 1 front set and 2 rears), I've only chained up once, and it was going over the Cascades when they had a checkpoint setup. Since I was towing, chains were mandatory.

I run the exact same chains on the work trucks too. Those get chained up much more often.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #15

As a life-long East-Coaster, I'd say that perhaps the use of road salt in the east vs. not in the west might come into play as well. In the east, a hill of most any grade will have tons (literally) of salt dumped on it each time it snows in order to melt/provide traction. Not so out west (at least as far as I know).

I've always used cables, probably for 20+ years now, and that's all I used on my old 91 Isuzu Trooper that was my go-to winter vehicle. That thing was unstoppable in even deep snow with cables on all four wheels, and pretty good even in 2WD with cables on the rear wheels, even on long trips up to Vermont for XC skiing and winter camping.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #16

Here in the NW, the only thing I see littering the roads during winter are broken cables. I would get chains.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
In the east, a hill of most any grade will have tons (literally) of salt dumped on it each time it snows in order to melt/provide traction. Not so out west (at least as far as I know).
Nah, we use gravel. You pay with your windshield, but it's worth it to not have cancerous rust.

Perhaps more importantly, the roads don't freeze/thaw and turn to ice sheets out here. It's feet of snow or wet pavement usually.