Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Spincasting rod/reel suggestion, please

I know that there are a lot of keen fisherfolk on this list - perhaps you could help me to pick out a good spincasting rod/reel combo, please? My boys (4 years old and 6) are super keen on learning to fish this summer and I've promised them each a rod.

I'd like to pick up something that lasts and works well. I'd like it to be collapsible, too, unless that's a huge impediment to quality.

Thanks so much!
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Re: Spincasting rod/reel suggestion, please

Hi Mike. There are alot of variables involved. What is your budget? What kind of fishing do you want to do? What fish are you going after? The list of questions can go on. My suggestions is to go to to Tackletour.com. Lots of good reviews and a great discussion forum like this one.
Will
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Thanks Will! I'll check out the website you mentioned - though at first glimpse it's a bit overwhelming.

My budget is <$100 per rod+reel, if that's reasonable. I'd love to buy something made in the US or Canada.

We're up in the Pacific Northwest, and these'll be for casual fishing by unskilled anglers. My main concern with the gear is that it works properly each time, and doesn't break - it's always disappointing for a kid to get somewhere, excited to do an activity, and then not be able to because their equipment malfunctions. (For adults, it doesn't matter so much - we have beer )

There's no particular type of fish we'll be going after. I see us doing more 'opportunity' fishing - if we're camped somewhere, and there's water that we're allowed to fish in, we'll fish for whatever's there!

Thanks very much!
Mike.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

I sent you a PM.
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

It's difficult to answer. I've used a few back packing rod reel combo and they are OK but not near as well made as purchasing equipment seperately. Eagle Claw and Diawa have those 4 piece setups but I really prefer a single rod blank. Kids are rough on rods so you might consider something like an Ugly Stik. After they are old enough to take care of their tackle and equipment you can upgrade. Even the reel might be difficult to show them how to use. Small kids generally start with push button reels. After that a good openface reel is the way to go. For trout an ultra lite combo is good for stream fishing using light spinning tackle. Get something that handles 2-6 lb test line and 1/16-3/8 lure weight. Larger waters generally require heavier tackle and equipment.

Get a practice rubber weight to help them learn how to cast. Make sure everbody wears eye protection and you might concider crushing the hooks barbs down for safety. Small pan fishing is great for kids using small jigs and it's hard to beat using eggs for trout when dealing with kids. They loose interest quick.
Good Luck

You might get some info here:
http://chicagolandfishing.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=63972

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/_documents/ ... 20Kids.pdf

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-8541603

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #6

Thanks Dave! Good info, and I especially like the suggestion of a rubber weight for practice... I never would have thought of that. Ditto on the eye protection. I do plan on using barbless hooks.

I'm still wading through all of the options, but it seems like I'm looking for:

- a one-piece, ultralight or light action rod, short length (4.5 - 5 feet or so)
- a good spincasting/pushbutton reel
- 2-6 lb test line

Always open to more information if anyone would like to add to this! Thanks Dave and Will for your help Will report back when I pick something up.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

What about the following combo, based on your suggestions? Sounds like it'll work for small fish in rivers and ponds.

- Ugly Stik spinning rod, Ultra Light 4' 8" (http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-Ugly ... 303/119021)
- Zebco 11PL micro spincast reel (http://goo.gl/F7C1S)
- 4lb test line
- Lures between 1/32 - 1/4 oz (though likely just hooks with bait?)

Thanks again!
Mike.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

In general, spincast (closed face) reels require a bait cast type rod (in green). They have different guides and the reel sits on top of the rod, like a bait cast (level wind) reel does. The rod you showed is for a spinning (open face) reel and hangs on the bottom of the rod. Don't cheat on the reel. Closed face reels have a bad time dealing with line twist and the cheapest ones might give you a hard time.

The reel you looked at is a good one just make sure it handles light line. Pick a nice flexable rod that handles the lightest lure weights. For kids I would avoid a pistol grip but a finger trigger is good and helps keep the rod in their hands. Kids feel the need to keep two hands on the rod.

If you plan to bass fish, you'll have to go heavier but for pan fish and small trout don't go heavier than 1/4 using 2lb-4lb test. They are making line now that is thinner and stronger so a quality 6 lb line will help when snagged. Use a soft line that does not hold much memory. They also make line tamer liquid that really helps and I strongly suggest using it. When using any spinning type lure be prepared for line twist. If you use a swivel use only true ball bearing types. There is a method of installing line...most good shops will put on line for ya. You might also want to carry a spare reel rather than messing with a tangle in the field.

You might want to look at these;
http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-Ugly ... 4133/99781

http://www.basspro.com/Daiwareg;-MiniCa ... _THUMBNAIL
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #9

Thank you! This is fun - there's a ton to learn! Line tamer?! Who would have known

I think I have enough info now to peruse basspro.com and find a good combo. I'll visit my local sporting store for things like line, hooks, bait, etc. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll post up some pics when we get out for our first trip!

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Good luck and enjoy. You might find one of those trout farms for kids. Fish practically jump on the hook. Great to start kids off on.