Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Re: Stoves that don't suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
If we were to buy one today it would be a Camp Chef Everest with ability to run off portable propane tank. This stove is powerful, compact but is not free standing.
How does that thing simmer? 20k BTU seems like a lot, but they're probably lying.

Not-free-standing is perfect for my application.

We have an Everest. They are NOT lying about the heat output, either -- that thing can get hotter than my "pro-style" gas cooktop at home. Works great for stir frying, only stove I've ever used with a wok where I didn't have to turn it up as high as it would go!

That said, the gas valve allows for a pretty low simmer flame, unless there is a lot of wind blowing; then if you turn it down that low, it risks blowing out. I have a square of heavy scrap copper plate I use as a heat diffuser that solves the problem completely.

Construction is only so-so; it's no Partner Steel stove in that regard. The burner heads are steel, unlike some of the other Camp Chef stoves that have cast iron or cast aluminum, so they rust. Fasteners are plain steel, also rust. I had to replace the cylinder fitting/regulator after about a year as it started leaking at the o-ring where it plugs into the stove, unless the screw fitting was cranked down very hard. $9 bucks plus shipping from Camp Chef, so not too bad. New one works fine again.

I use it with both disposable cylinders and with high-pressure bbq tap on our coach. Running off a big cylinder, I think I could use it as a forge, in a pinch

Bottom line -- love it as a cooking appliance, versatile, plenty of heat, controllable, and space for full-sized pans. Not too heavy to haul around; we had considered buying a Weekender model (aka Sport Utility) and decided in favor of the Everest for lighter weight and smaller size. Down sides are cheap construction, and probably won't last for years. OTOH, we only paid about $80 for it on sale at Gander Mountain.

We'll probably use it until it rusts away, then buy another one assuming they still make them.

chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
I've seen a propane conversion for the robust Coleman liquid fueled stoves, but that seems like a band-aid and (the internet says) the heat output is greatly reduced since the burners weren't designed for propane.
I've been using one of these for years & they work great you. You still have to balance the flow when you turn on the 2nd burner but no big deal.http://www.amazon.com/Century-Regula.../dp/B000GPLIZU

I have been coveting the Partner steel break down stove & want to mount it in my door galley.
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Hi;

Related hi-jack of this fine post:

I posted this years back and it details how to refill the little green bottles:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8943&hilit=+propane+refill

I sure do like the convenience of being able to move my stove and lanterns away from a large propane tank.

Thanks for the input on the stoves. I need a new one too.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #14

Anybody try one of these? Looks sturdy: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Diamond ... camp+stove
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I use a single burner propane burner for 90% of my stuff while outside. I'm sure everybody has their own preferences and it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
I do love my inside stove but I don't cook smelling things inside.

Propane outside stoves are hard to beat...but you are cooking outside. Outside is the key.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Anybody try one of these? Looks sturdy: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Diamond ... camp+stove
It looks heavy, and it looks small. This is more personal opinion of course, but I prefer a stove eye I can sit a big skillet on, for ground beef, eggs, sausage, etc. On the upside, small is good storage wise, and the thing looks positively bulletproof. Do they list a weight? Will you need dual rear wheels?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
It looks heavy, and it looks small. This is more personal opinion of course, but I prefer a stove eye I can sit a big skillet on, for ground beef, eggs, sausage, etc. On the upside, small is good storage wise, and the thing looks positively bulletproof. Do they list a weight? Will you need dual rear wheels?
They don't list a weight but I saw someone saying 18 pounds! I agree, a little small. Just wondering whether or not 2.5 times the price for the 22" partner is worth a few more inches. Hmmmm.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #18

I ended up getting a 22" Cook Partner and let me say, this thing is a serious tool. I've seen shoddier workmanship on aircraft. It will easily hold both my 12" cast iron skillet and large pot without feeling crowded. I have no regrets.

One thing that was never clear to me on my internet reading about these stoves was details about the connection to the propane supply. The fuel hose has a regulator on the end with a Male threaded P.O.L. fitting (AKA the "old style"), not the female ACME threaded nut ("Type 1")that most modern grills (and propane fill places) use.

So make sure the green bottle adapter you buy has internal POL threads...
Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59213-Fe...WBZ6TYNNV6GFMC

The hose is about 5' long so we'll have to see how much fuel gets lost when disconnecting between uses.

I am still pretty curious about that diamond plate Stansport knockoff mentioned earlier. Most of the low ratings of that mention poor quality riveting which is something that could pretty easily be fixed with some pop rivets if your time is worth $200. I didn't see much mention about rust but it doesn't look like those stoves have been around long enough for folks to really experience that. This seems to be the only other briefcase-style stove besides the Partners with actually recessed knobs.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #19

Well here's my 2 cents. I've had a Partner 4 burner for a dozen years. We use it on the river as well. It's a "high output" burner stove and most folks don't have a clue about how to cook on one. Since we do a lot of group trips with multiple chefs, I've devised a way for them to simmer food. Go to Home Depot and buy some 1" square tubes. Cut to fit they get the cooking surface away from the heat when folks can't see the flame. Stores nicely in the stove. Works every time. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote