Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Sunnan LED lamps

I ran across these rather cool LED lamps at Ikea (having never been in there before):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90154371/

Unfortunately, they're not for sale online. But I've heard they'll buy one for a Third World kid if you buy one there, all for $20.

It charges three AA nimh 1.2v batteries in a removable battery/solar tray, which you pop out and place in the sun. It takes several hours to recharge, and the light is 350 lux or so; good for a task light. The base is weighted and it has a gooseneck so it's pretty easy to place where you need it. A rather cool feature is that it's easily hacked: some guys at Voltaic Systems made one into an iPad charger. And regular old spade connectors fit into the solar pack so you can use it to power other stuff, or use other power to run the rather nice LED lamp (you'd probably need to step it down to 6v to run off your 12 volt; there's a schematic at the following URL but I'm not enough of an EE to decipher it:

http://blog.spitzenpfeil.org/wordpress/ ... revisited/

Rob

Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Sunnan LED lamps

Interesting Rob...but they don't make em in the best color "black & white" Those would be nice for reading outside at night on a table.

Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Just picked one of these up yesterday at my local IKEA. They did have white ones also. I like the idea of possibly powering other devices with the solar/battery pack.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

I have two, love them. They work good pretty much everywhere but in the hammock. Nothing but a headlamp will do there. I bought one as soon as they released them, it was an ugly orange color. The second I bought was no better in "gosh that's ugly" green. Now of course they make them in black. Took a few years though.