Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #1

Synthetic rope winches

I'm leaning toward installing a synthetic rope winch on my van. How do the synthetic ropes deal with living in a wet environment? I live in the Pacific North West where things tend to get wet and stay wet for a while. Which is better for this climate? A steel cable that rusts or a synthetic rope that may rot?

After looking at different brands of winches, the SuperWinch Talon 12.5 SR is the leading contender in my search. Does anyone have experince with these winches? Any feedback?

http://superwinch.com/products/productd ... 0.0?pp=12&

I was determined to buy a Warn M12000 Winch but the design of their drum brake heats up the drum and makes them synthetic rope unfriendly. Unless you want to pay the price for a heat resistant Warn rope. $700 plus for a rope doesn't play in my world.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Synthetic rope winches

I received some money for Christmas, so I'm thinking of buying a winch. But I didn't receive enough to buy one of these babies. Looks pretty manly!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Team

FWIW, most synthetic rope winch line comes from the marine industries so I wouldn't be worried about rot at all. I think UV exposure damage would be more of a concern, and I'm not really concerned about that either.

I'd recommend talking to Thor (yes that's his real name) at Viking Offroad.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/

Herb
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I second a call to Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
FWIW, most synthetic rope winch line comes from the marine industries so I wouldn't be worried about rot at all. I think UV exposure damage would be more of a concern, and I'm not really concerned about that either.

I'd recommend talking to Thor (yes that's his real name) at Viking Offroad.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/

Herb

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

I just got off the phone with Viking offroad. Thor wasn't there but he should be calling me back.

Thanks for the link. I had already found Winchlines.com but hadn't stumbled across Viking offroad. They are both run by Thor and they are in the process of moving all the products found on Winchlines over to the Viking Offroad website.

My plan right now is to purchase a Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR and have them install a 100' of safety orange color rope and safety thimble on the winch instead of the stock 80' hook setup. I also want to run a dulrin roller fairlead instead of the Hawse fairlead. I want to use one of their cool front license plate holders and they only attatch to the standard fairlead.

Big thanks to the list for pointing me in the direction of Synthetic rope and that nifty license plate holder. Keep the suggestions coming. They are a valuable tool in my learning and building process.

If anyone has any comments about length of rope, color or diameter please let me know what you think of my plan. Is anyone using one of the safety thimbles? They seem like a good idea.

http://www.winchline.com/images-product ... tiso1L.gif

Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I went with Master Pull. I'd also suggest giving them a call to compare prices and pick what you really need or want for your situation. Size is worth looking into to get a longer length on the drum so if you can get a stronger breaking strength rope with smaller diameter, it might keep you from having to carry extra rope. And when sizing the breaking strength, you'll have to factor in two blocking, not just the capability of the winch rating in a single line pull.

Ask about abrasion resistance, solar resistance, and drum heat. You might be able to get a custom sheath that covers the end of the rope for sun resistance. Mine came with one but the knot was exposed, so I hook it under the bumper out of direct sunlight.

I do wish I would have got the thimble eye.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #7

Viking Offroad called me back. Thor is on the road somewhere so I havn't talked to him but he did answer some of my quesitons. The Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR will only take 80' of rope.

Since Kenny at Aluminess was sending my bumper and Nerf bars off to powdercoat today I had him send a Warn Fairlead frame to be powdercoated the same time. I'll be replacing the steel rollers on the Warn Fairlead with the synthetic rope friendly Delrin rollers that come with the Superwinch Fairlead. As long as they are the correct size. If they are sized different I'll be into ($$) a new set of Delrin rollers.

The project progresses......

Now I need to focus on how to wire all this stuff up. I will be installing an aux battery system to power the winch and the driving lights.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Btw I asked Thor about heat, he didn't seem to think it was an issue providing I was sensible with the winch.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Have the orange rope, safety thimble, and flip-up license plate holder on my Bronco. Haven't used it in the field, so I can't comment on the thimble.

I got the thimble based upon conversations I had with Thor and Bill Burke.

Herb
Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Oh I got the thimble, orange rope, and delrin rollers. I got a shorter rope for better pull from the drum (will have an extension piece in the recovery bag)

Thor didn't seem really keen on the rope sheath.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote