Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

T-shaped hood bra cover search

Hello,

I've seen a few vans that have a hood bra cover to protect the paint. I'm planning an Alaska trip and figure it can't hurt to keep some of the rocks/gravel off the paint.

I've seen some nice looking T-shaped ones on other vans but I've been unable to find one. By T-shaped I mean at the bottom of the hood it is full width and then it tapers towards the center as it reaches the top. I've seen the straight across bras online but haven't yet found the T-shaped ones.

I've got a 2005 E-350 SMB.

Does anyone have a source on where to find these?

Thank you.

dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

Garage
Sportsmobile sells those direct. I'm sure you can probably find one for less $ if you search...
Old 12-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Garage
if your not set on something black, look into clearbra. stuff works great. can use it on headlights, cornerlights, bumper, grill, pretty much all front end parts that are susceptible to rock chips. most places have it so all they have to do is enter the vehicle into the system and a cutter will zip them out real quick. You can either have them install it or take it home and do it yourself.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Garage
Yes, I use the clear shield on my Range Rover. I'd never use the T-bra, and have the faded paint ghost outline when it is removed years later.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Garage
It’s good stuff. One of our cars left the dealer lot in 08 with clearbra on the front half of hood & fenders, entire bumper, grill, headlights, foglights, backs of rear view mirrors and some little pieces on the forward side of the rear wheel well flares. Stuff hasn’t yellowed and it’s hard to see unless your right in front of it.

Also have it on our 2000 crv. Honda paint is garbage but where the clearbra is still looks new. It’s pretty impressive stuff. I’ll never use a conventional bra again.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Garage
Normally the rocks & gravel you've referenced to do not present a problem to the hood unless you're following someone too closely, and there is just one logical answer in addressing that.
Forest rash from branch's/limbs are tougher to combat but think Shenrie has steered you towards a viable solution.
Last option would be to view all visible impacts as trophies, and wear them proudly.

Alaska is one of the few States we have not had the pleasure of exploring yet, but on the list of "Must do's" - Enjoy your trip!
Old 12-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

I went with Line-x and have been happy with it.
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #8

Have made at least 6 trips to Alaska in my 2003 7.3 SMB no bra....."if you can drive there I have been there".
The day of the gravel road is in fast decline.....longest is the Dalton Hwy Livengood to Deadhorse 400 + miles of gravel and mud. The gravel is so large that they don't fly very far........ it is a very active haul road during the summer so you give the trucks the right of way and no rock issues. Don't pull out in front of them thinking your going to out run them......no speed limit for trucks...lol
I have had a few window chips but that can happen anywhere. I agree with "trophies and wearing them proudly".
Enjoy your trip...one more thing...get "black out shades for your windows. Lots of sun after bedtime".
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

T-shaped hood bra cover search

I’ve done three Alaska trips, two from the East coast and one from Seattle. I’d skip a fabric-type bra, and either go with a plastic hood air deflector (cheap and easy to install) or a clear bra. The ubiquitous dust gets under the fabric bras and does a nice job sandpapering your paint over thousands of rough-road miles.

I didn’t really have any issues with gravel chips despite driving lots of gravel roads (Cassiar, Dalton, Top of the World, Denali, McCarthy, etc.). Dead bugs were actually the bigger issue. Be sure to clean them off painted surfaces regularly, or else they will bake on and not do nice things for your paint. Pack a scrub brush and do it every night or two. Some northern car washes will also have degreaser/de-bugger solutions that you can spray on with a wand — not sure what’s in it, but has a strong petroleum smell and prominent “no smoking” warnings!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
... I’ll never use a conventional bra again.
Does your wife know?

Herb