Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: The perfect travel grill ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
...it looks like that must have a ground fire to work.... so that is disqualified from this competition.

Yes, it needs to work with a ground fire, but what if you are where they are not allowed?

Needs to work with charcoal or wood. for grill or dutch oven....

What we have found works on the ground, or on a picnic table, and it can be used where ground fires are not allowed... it can use charcoal or wood...

I don't think a grate is disqualifying...that grill probably wins on the overall price and simplicity. Even charcoal grills can be banned during fire restrictions and some places ban them because people dump the charcoals rather than packing the ashes out. As far as the perfect grill, probably not but it does have merit. Hell, I've cooked a steak on a rock. But Greg, I've been in places where even gas grills are not allowed so something like your George Foreman grill you use might be a strong contender provided you have enough power to run it

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
The perfect travel grill ??

Sorry. I am disqualifying it because it doesn't meet enough criteria. Yes it is simple, ...and I think a grate may be part of the solution.

I have photos and will load them when I have a better connection.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I think there really is no perfect grill out there because each application is so different. The fire and environmental restrictions do make a huge impact on what qualifies as best. One ranger told me; “if you want a fire (or BBQ) you must be able to turn a knob off which will kill the fire”. But power consumption is a problem with an electric grill yet it works in high risk areas. Other times you can cook over a fire and whether it’s Kingsford or local wood gathered, the taste of the food can be enhanced big time. My Pit-2-Go can be used to cook on but it’s far from perfect grill IMO. Sometimes I carry a Cobb grill but it’s not as easy to work with as my gas grill.

I base my wants on a few things:

#1 Easy setup and cleanup. I don’t want to scrub or waste water to cleanup something.
#2 Fuel. I really don’t want to carry extra fuel including briquettes. I’m always in fire restricted areas and propane is usually allowed.
#3 Storage. It has to fit in my rear storage box and pack up well.
#4 Cover. It has to have a lid tall enough to cook a whole chicken.
#5 Heat resistant. Needs to be able to be used on a table.

The Weber I have fills all my requirements except it's a bit difficult to stow because of the handles and regulator. So I'm still looking for a rugged gas grill that suits my needs.

Dave

Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #24

Any reason why you could not use the Cobb with wood? Start a small fire and add a few larger chunks to provide some good coals. Would it work? I don't much like having to depend on briquets.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #25
Site Team

Doesn't exactly add wood smoke flavor to the food, and maybe I'm old-school, but what's wrong with using an old green Coleman white-gas grill? OK, you have to haul around another fuel, but right now I'm not carrying any propane so that part of the equation is a wash.

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Doesn't exactly add wood smoke flavor to the food, and maybe I'm old-school, but what's wrong with using an old green Coleman white-gas grill? OK, you have to haul around another fuel, but right now I'm not carrying any propane so that part of the equation is a wash.

Herb
They made such a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Any reason why you could not use the Cobb with wood? Start a small fire and add a few larger chunks to provide some good coals. Would it work? I don't much like having to depend on briquets.
The beauty of the Cobb grill is how little charcoals are needed to run it. A bag inside the grill would last quite a while. I’ve used wood to add smoke flavor. The chamber that holds the charcoal is very small. The problem I have with it is its overall dimensions and the clean up that’s needed. I don’t ever have to clean my Weber, just turn it on high and burn it off.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:

Herb
They made such a thing?

DUDE, you dont remember "White Gas" ???
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Yeah, I hope I'm not dating myself that much. Can of white gas to fuel the stove and the lantern (with the constantly breaking fabric mantels). Don't miss that lantern, that's for sure, but it does put out some serious light, and for some reason, I miss the sound of the pressurized fuel system while sitting around the campfire at night.

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Yeah, I hope I'm not dating myself that much. Can of white gas to fuel the stove and the lantern (with the constantly breaking fabric mantels). Don't miss that lantern, that's for sure, but it does put out some serious light, and for some reason, I miss the sound of the pressurized fuel system while sitting around the campfire at night.

Herb
Ya, I have tons of white gas stuff but never have seen a gasoline BBQ/grill. A hot plate yes but a grill?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Finally determined the photos were too large... here we go...

This one shows the grill set up and ready to go. The legs allow it to sit on the ground or on a table, and they can be removed and stored inside. I realize now that I don't have a photo of it packed and closed. The silver top closes and locks with the legs and grill inside.

Here you can see the grill in place. If cooking with a dutch oven you would not need the grill. The height of the grill is adjustable and it can be used with wood or charcoal.

The grill can also be used alone with a ground fire
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote