Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Garage
Thule Awning Install Video

I couldn't find much about installing the Thule Hideaway Awning on a Yakima rack when I bought mine, so I made a video. Hope it helps someone out.

I'm enjoying it and glad I got it installed before summer. The awning is nicely made, good quality, and easy to put up.

https://youtu.be/O9zV44Vm82s

Attached Thumbnails
C0np4WD9RWye8E%jWIMr9g.jpg   tqX++cBESyqq8b3%Jrvhtg.jpg  

Old 05-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #2

That’s super helpful, thanks! I’m about to pick up the 10’ awning in a week or so. I’m direct mounting it to a set of three contractor ladder racks I’m using as a temporary roof rack solution. Planning on moving to the U-Joint extruded 80/20 rack later down the road so I may just get the rack brackets now and save them for later.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

Garage
Glad to hear it! The ladder rack idea is a good one. Post up a pic when you get it done. Ya, that UJoint rack is pretty nice. I’ve thought about that a bunch of times. Nice and light. It could be in the cards down the road.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

How are you guys liking the Hideaway? Any thoughts on how it compares to Fiamma?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg View Post
How are you guys liking the Hideaway? Any thoughts on how it compares to Fiamma?
We like it just fine! I haven’t seen the Fiamma in use so I can’t say exactly how it compares, but it seems they’re very similar. The Thule is cheaper and I got it with free shipping from etrailer. One difference is the location of the manual winder insertion point. The Fiamma has it on the right, the Thule on the left. When I had my Thule up on the roof rack prior to getting the CCV top, the access was fine. But I recently installed it on the gutter with 1der’s z-brackets and realized it conflicts with the side ladder. I wrote a post about it here:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ack-26719.html

I could also move the awning forward, away from the ladder, but I like the coverage where it is. Though I’m enjoying using my drill to open/close it, if I were starting from scratch, I’d probably get the Fiamma to avoid the hassle.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

Thanks!
Do you have a straight on side view shot so I can see the mounting position? I would have the same issues/ RB van, CCV top, so Ray’s brackets, and a passenger side ladder. I’d love a better pic so I could visualize what it would look like slid forward...what?...8 inches? What would you need to clear the ladder?

And, did the Thule play nice with Ray’s brackets?
Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Thanks!
Do you have a straight on side view shot so I can see the mounting position? I would have the same issues/ RB van, CCV top, so Ray’s brackets, and a passenger side ladder. I’d love a better pic so I could visualize what it would look like slid forward...what?...8 inches? What would you need to clear the ladder?

And, did the Thule play nice with Ray’s brackets?
Yes, the Thule plays nice with Ray’s brackets. You have to drill 4 holes to accommodate the four t-bolts that slide into the Thule. Unlike the Fiamma, the Thule doesn’t rest on top of his brackets. Works well, though. Here are some shots:

Holes drilled to match t-slots:

All three brackets mounted on gutter. You could move that rear one as far forward as you want:

See how the winder slot is right over the ladder? It needs to be moved maybe 10 inches??

That’s how I wound up doing this:

On Friday I’ll be putting the awning out. I’ll take another pic then so you can see it full-on.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Thanks!

If it's not too much to ask...I'd love a side pic showing the whole length of the van with the awning stowed, just so I can I see the lay of the land.

Which mounting option of the awning did you buy? Wall mount?
Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Thanks!

If it's not too much to ask...I'd love a side pic showing the whole length of the van with the awning stowed, just so I can I see the lay of the land.

Which mounting option of the awning did you buy? Wall mount?
Mine is the rack mount. Here’s a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
E3C93412-AC8B-4A3E-9E44-C6B801AB24DB.jpg  
Old 09-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

Thanks. That really helps. I like where you have it placed. Just need to decide if the proper feng shui is worth a couple of hundred dollars.

I wonder if the wall mount would be any easier to mate with the brackets, or if it makes any difference....

Tags
awning, e350 awning, thule awning, thule hideaway, yakima rack awning