Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Garage
Traction Board Mounting location

I have carried a basic set of traction boards for a couple of years now for my offroad adventures in the van. The problem we faced though, is that without a proper home they are mostly just in the way. Since my van is just a standard RB passenger van (Traveler), getting the boards mounted and out of the way became a priority for space optimization and safety. I already mounted my Hi-Lift jack over the passenger side rear wheel well leaving a void between it and the plastic interior panels. The cheaper traction boards I have seemed to fit nicely in that void utilizing space that had no current use.

I enlisted the help of my father (as I always do) and he machined up some hex aluminum spacers that act to mount the stud to the wall and space the boards apart so they can be bolted in place tightly. Aluminum knobs make for easy access when needed, though I genuinely hope to never touch the things! For the time being, we will run the knobs as-is to see if they loosen up. If so, we will likely safety wire them in place. These same knobs secure the Hi-Lift to the mounts as well.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
18920360_1583150918383752_881118601490149502_n.jpg   18921704_1584074464958064_7275821987979694340_n.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

very nice! I currently have mine on my roof rack. I am currently thinking about mounting them parallel to the roof, along the outside of the van, kind of inbetween where the windows would usually be.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
very nice! I currently have mine on my roof rack. I am currently thinking about mounting them parallel to the roof, along the outside of the van, kind of inbetween where the windows would usually be.
Brian- I wanted to mount mine on a roof rack or something similar, but I daily drive the van and wanted to limit the amount of stuff I have strapped to the outside. With them being inside though, they need to be secured in the event of a rough impact or rollover incident (I always plan for the worst case scenerio). There is a likelihood this setup will change when I cage the van though so we will have to see how long this setup lasts!

Scott
Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

I opted for a roof top mount that would be up and out of the way, with a design that doubles as a platform/space to sit on or tie things down on. This required going with the older-style aluminum sand ladder design, but I figure I can always strap a set of MAXTRAX on top if I feel the need.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I opted for a roof top mount that would be up and out of the way, with a design that doubles as a platform/space to sit on or tie things down on. This required going with the older-style aluminum sand ladder design, but I figure I can always strap a set of MAXTRAX on top if I feel the need.
Fitz- That's a slick setup, thanks for sharing!

Scott
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post

It would be cool if someone could fabricate a simple mount like this that attached to the rain gutter so it could be somewhat universal and moved forward or backward etc instead of having to commit to drilling into the van wall.....what do you think? the bottom could just have a rubber foot of sorts for the bottom where it rested on the van for the bottom, or really those things don't weigh much and it might be able to just sorta float close to the body I suppose. figure it out so I can copy it, haha.

Otherwise when I finally get some I will probably just mount on my spare tire till I can figure something out. I have a high top so I could even use a gutter mount of sorts that goes upward to mount above the roofline too, hmmmmm too many choices, maybe that option wouldn't work at all, I don't really know.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #7

Sand Ladders with a Dual Purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Fitz- That's a slick setup, thanks for sharing!

Scott
I have been very happy with this arrangement. I haven't had to pull the sand ladders down and put them under the van (yet), but I have had to tie things up on the platform several times. Plus it makes a great place to sit and "observe" with the PH down. I made the tray deep enough to stack an additional set of sand ladders on top of the ones that are there, just in case I decide I want to carry two pair.

Additional pictures and details are on my build thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16293-23.html, look at Post #224.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #8

I mounted mine on the side. So i can open the windows behind it to get air in and nobody can steal stuff out of the car. Also good for a dog to get air all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Angola0294.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

I installed a set of MaxTrax mounting pins on a bracket I fabricated with 2x4's that's mounted to pre-existing holes in my Aluminess roof rack.

The 2x4 framework is painted black, with many coats of paint for weather resistance. It probably weighs 10 lbs, and while it's not much to look at, it's completely obscured from view with the trax mounted to it.

I decided on roof-rack mounting to make them very difficult to get to for, well, most anyone. I can reach the locks when I stand on the rear tire - only if I stretch (and I'm 6'4") - and I hope this dissuades thieves... all but the most persistent, with a lot of time on their hands, anyhow.

I have yet to get the trax truly muddy before replacing on the racks; I suspect I'll need to clean them off if this ever happens. That's one potential down-side to their location. The second draw-back to roof rack mounting is that mud or other debris would run down the side of the van after use. I decided that either of these options is better than putting the mud inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9113.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
MSD

Garage
Looks great! I really like your rig[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote