Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Tree limb trimmer

The other day I went up to my buddy’s off grid cabin . 3 miles up a gnarly overgrown and unpaved Forrest road with my dirt bike hanging off a hitch carrier. A few creek crossings too It was insane . My friends were in Jeeps and 4Runners so wasn’t a problem for them but I scratched my van up pretty good, CRINGING hearing that noise . I kept jumping out and trimming the big branches with my little hatchet ... NEVER AGAIN . Now this little Dewalt 12” 20v chainsaw will permanently live in the van mainly for this purpose!
Attached Thumbnails
787F9BCB-8F2A-4016-BA36-2F3A5FDA01B2.jpg  

PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #2

Mine lives in my Trasharoo. These little guys are impressive. Mine is a Kobalt (Lowe's) but basically the same, 10 or 12" bar, 20v battery can make 50 or more cuts on decent size logs on a charge.

Here's the best benefit: You're at a campground and there's plenty of deadfall but you can't exactly fire up a real saw. With this little guy you can walk 40' in to the woods and no one can hear you. They are almost silent.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

Garage
Buddy has the same saw with a 16” blade and it’s seriously impressive how much you can cut on one battery. The saw and the inverter/4-bank charger is a sweet setup. He went that route instead of a house battery setup and he’s very happy with the end results he’s had. Has me rethinking things...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

Been meaning to get one of these as well. Before I had my high top we came across a fallen tree and there was about a 2-3 inch thick branch that slightly gouged my roof. I was sitting there sawing for 15 minutes with my Leatherman multitool!!!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

Not to dis those saws. They would be great to have for sure, but consume more storage space than I care to give up. This little collapsible bow saw has worked well for me over the years and sits inside one of my rear doors with other odds and ends.
Attached Thumbnails
bow saw.jpeg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
.... the inverter/4-bank charger is a sweet setup. He went that route instead of a house battery setup ...
I'm missing something here. What's the inverter getting power from? Isn't there still a battery system for storage?

I have a 16" and a 10" battery powered saws and they're both pretty great. I use the 16" around the property for tree clearing and the 10" at camp. I wouldn't call them silent, but compared to a gas saw - you can definitely use them without many people noticing.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

Hey I’m intrigued by this setup also! I was looking at those Dewalt 4 bank docks on Amazon, I still haven’t wired up my house battery in my van .. I wonder how he has that set up and what he is capable of powering with it ???
Old 10-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
....This little collapsible bow saw has worked well for me over the years and sits inside one of my rear doors with other odds and ends.
I carry something like that on my mt bike/moto camelbak pack. they work great for clearing trails with logs under a foot around and I’ve used it many time to clear roads for the van too. It’s always close on our adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I'm missing something here. What's the inverter getting power from? Isn't there still a battery system for storage?
https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...arger/dcb1800b

It’s definitely not for some of the rigs that frequent the forum, but for the ones that don’t have an huge need for power consumption, it might fit the bill well and have multiple other uses outside of the van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER View Post
... I wonder how he has that set up and what he is capable of powering with it ???
Haven’t been out camping with him too many times, but once a week he loads up the wife and grandkids and drives up the mountain for a movie night. Runs lights, tv, dvd, charges phones, etc. like I said, it’s not the answer for everyone, but for a build like mine that uses very minimal power, I think it’s going to be a good fit.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #9

Cool Shenrie if you go that route let me know how it turns out! My rig is has minimal power needs as well , and is kinda modular and I’m not sure If i want a rats nest of solar and wiring In my van . That sure would be clean and simple might just be the ticket . I imagine he carries it back into his house to charge it back up?
Old 10-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

I bought a 40v Husqvarna last year at a great price and love it. https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-120...gateway&sr=8-3

Has been used to cut 12”+ diameter trees (oak) and worked great.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote