Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

USB Fan for Summer Cooling

We've been using one of these 9" usb fans all Summer long and highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's whisper quiet, extremely portable and sips power. They are a fantastic way to increase airflow especially down stairs on warm nights. Two speed fan... put it on low and you can hardly hear it running. Easily powered from house power or from a portable phone charging battery out under the awning. We had the small 12v reciprocating fan that came with the van but it was way too noisy for me. This has made sleeping during Summer camping a lot more comfortable. They make a 6" as well.

No affiliation.

Joe

2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
We've been using one of these 9" usb fans all Summer long and highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's whisper quiet, extremely portable and sips power. They are a fantastic way to increase airflow especially down stairs on warm nights. Two speed fan... put it on low and you can hardly hear it running. Easily powered from house power or from a portable phone charging battery out under the awning. We had the small 12v reciprocating fan that came with the van but it was way too noisy for me. This has made sleeping during Summer camping a lot more comfortable. They make a 6" as well.

No affiliation.

Joe
Joe, Thanks so much for posting! When I realized I needed just such a thing this past July, I googled the ones I saw avail in truck stops across the country and realized it would be another project scrounging user reviews to find a low-power-consumption low-noise option.
- anne
Old 09-02-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
It appears there are rechargeable versions too---those are interesting.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #4

Opolar sells the usb fan with a small rechargeable battery pack like one might use as backup power for a cell phone. I use mine like this if I'm too far from an outlet. Very handy.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
It appears there are rechargeable versions too---those are interesting.
For anyone seeking a USB power-able & rechargeable version of these positively reviewed fans soon, a couple notes you may find helpful since it took lots of back-and-forth between pages to discern spec differences and promo code effectiveness..

CURRENT DISCOUNTS: Good time to stock up for Hurricane season?
- 10% off most/many OPOLAR models (at least the one's I've been perusing below). On the Amazon page, scroll well down to the "Special offers and product promotions" section. Several 10% codes are available; I've tried QBUX5JYP and it works for the two models I like below. There are also 50% off codes for other models.
- Price Drop today on the "top-of-the-line" rechargeable with 6700mAh Battery. It was $27.99 all Labor Day weekend, and this morning it's $23.59 (not including the additional 10% off promo code that still works on discounted price).

SERVICE SEEMS EXCELLENT, RESPONSIVE:
- The vendor answered multiple of my weekend questions on the Amazon site within a day (this morning), suggesting excellent responsiveness.
- The vendor provides a support email address, suggesting great accessibility.

RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES *RARELY* USER-REPLACEABLE
- Vendor answers to the 'replaceable battery?' question re rechargeable fans, as well as a comparison table that listed some as replaceable and some not, shows that the rechargable battery can only be replaced on certain fan models (some clip-ons) and not on the models I like below.

DETAILED BUT INCONSISTENT DESCRIPTIONS:
- The page descriptions offer pretty good detail compared to other like offerings from other vendors (although the specific model numbers are annoyingly absent, or at least hard to find in the page content, though they're easily extractable from the URLs on amazon).
- The included info is inconsistent though: some fan pages mention (a) RPMs at each speed and (b) charging time, while other fans' descriptions don't, so absolute comparison is challenging, though you might be able to read between the lines on similar models.

General Lifespan: I'm personally going to consider the general lifetime of any of these inexpensive OPOLAR fans to be 12-18 months of generally daily use, which is one reviewer's opinion who's used several Opolar fans at her desk over the years. I'll extrapolate for non-daily use.

I like the following for their compactness / ease of storing and magnetic/flat base for use in the van, plus, as the OP said: quiet and powerful for the size! They also have a timer-turn-off function, which some users loved because it's so quiet they forget it's on. (In some ways it would be nice to have replaceable batteries, and they do have a near identical model that runs on AAs, because you could really stock up on batteries for hurricane season, run the fan virtually without limit, and not be hobbled by a non-user-serviceable rechargeable battery that's exhausted it's lifetime. Still, I'm happy with recharging via vehicle/gas during an extended power outage.)

Two Similar Rechargeable Models with diif't capacity batteries.
1. B0784NT71T - $16.99 OPOLAR Battery Operated Fan, 5200mA Rechargeable Battery Powered Fan, Strong Wind but Quiet, Timer Setting, USB or Battery Powered for Office or Outdoor, Small Mini Personal Desk Fan at:
https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Batter...cm_wl_huc_item
Battery Runtime for Hi-Med-Low: 9-20-38 Hours. (Though an apparently identical model claiming "strong wind" on a diff't page, higher price, claimed the more believable 5.5 H on High speed.)
Charge Time: 6 to 7 hours for the battery to get fully charged (per amazon description).
Rechargeable Battery NOT Replaceable.

NOTE: Above 'Black' model not same as 'Blue' or 'White' on same page: Two additional 5200mA 'blade color' options are available at the same price, but they're not the same model. The 'Black' model linked above is distinguished by (upgraded) "Strong Wind" in Title and description, and has a different set of hours it will run on Hi-Med-Low (9-20-38 hours for Strong Wind, vs 5.5-20-40 for the non-strong-wind model, #B07DGTQTFK, which I gleaned from the URL). I don't know why the stronger wind (on Hi, at least) would last longer than the non-strong-wind on High, and I wonder if these specs are reversed. I could have SWORN (given notes I copied for comparison yesterday) these numbers were more intuitive (ie, the shorter run-time on High for the "stronger Wind" version) on the page descriptions yesterday.

2. B07DL8ZZFP - $23.59 OPOLAR 6700mAh Battery Operated Fan, Personal Table Mini USB Fan with Timer, Strong Wind, 3 Speeds, 7 Blades, Powered by USB or Rechargeable Battery, Super Quiet, for Office, Camping, Outdoor at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6YNB8H7B&psc=1
Battery Runtime for Hi-Med-Low: 7-20-48 Hours.
Battery Lifetime: Vendor asserted "It can run fully charged about 300 times" in response to my question. Expect this to vary amongst models, I saw a different fan's description with 500 recharges.
Charging Time: user said 9-10 hrs to fully recharge, a diff't fan with 6700 mA batter had vendor stated 9 hr charge time.
Rechargeable Battery NOT Replaceable.

Before the price drop on #2 above, I'd almost decided to go with the 5200mA battery version at $10 less after 10% coupon, but today the 6700 mH version is only $6 more, including 10% off promo on each.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

Since we occasionally camp for days at a time off grid, I like to preserve our battery life for the fridge, LED lighting, and whatever else I don't have an alternative for.

We've had several different USB fans over the years. But I recently picked up an 18V Milwaukee jobsite fan and love it. On the nights we have electricity it has a 110V transformer. On nights we don't have AC, it has it's own battery power. This thing moves a lot of air if you need it to, and has multiple speeds. I already carry a Milwaukee drill to run my awning in/out so now I just carry a extra battery or two.

But if I didn't already have the Milwaukee, I might be ordering one of those Opolars
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3432.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by achop View Post
For anyone seeking a USB power-able & rechargeable version of these positively reviewed fans soon, a couple notes you may find helpful since it took lots of back-and-forth between pages to discern spec differences and promo code effectiveness..
Very impressive research into the differences Achop--thanks for doing all that heavy lifting!

Environmentally its too bad the on-board batteries can't be replaced which makes these fans disposable after they've lived their lives. At $30 or less each though if one does get about 12-18 months use that's not a bad deal at all.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Very impressive research into the differences Achop--thanks for doing all that heavy lifting!

Environmentally its too bad the on-board batteries can't be replaced which makes these fans disposable after they've lived their lives. At $30 or less each though if one does get about 12-18 months use that's not a bad deal at all.
I would actually recommend a "battery bank" USB 'brick' of some sort... to power a quiet USB fan... that way you can recharge your cell phone , power the fan, whatever.... and if / when the USB power bank dies the whole fan does not end up in landfill.

I do this.. and the USB fan (Opolar) runs and runs and runs on a little USB battery booster pack. Works great. Very flexible setup

Anker is a very reputable brand with good customer support.

FYI: Dont buy the super cheap kind... a pal dropped his and it burst into flame.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:

Right and right. You could relegate it to a USB-outlet only location once the battery's toast. I just got my 6700mA magnetic desk fan today and it's great, so small and packable and functional and quiet. I could unscrew the bottom panel and take a pic of the battery compartment ... perhaps it's replaceable by someone with the know-how.

There is a similarly equipped fan for which the rechargeable battery IS REPLACEABLE (as per vendor answer to question on its amazon page, and as per a comparison table that I can't find again).

OPOLAR Clip Fan, 6700mAh Rechargeable Battery, USB or Battery Powered, Clip & Desk Electric Fan
==>>
https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Rechar.../dp/B07DHKSJTL

The 'clip' is so wide and stable that you can use it simply as a desk fan, or glue magnets on the clip base ... it may have about the same footprint as my flat, sandwich shaped fan:

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-6700mA.../dp/B07DL8ZZFP
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

More expensive & 12v

But we're huge, well, fans of these:
http://tinyurl.com/y9ajwlwg

Draw only about 6 watts on high and REALLY moves some air. Much better than the built in (loud) fan the van came with, but more expensive and less portable than the USB option the OP posted.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote