Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Van cover

Looking for advice on covering for an E 150 parked outdoors. I live in New England so we have sun, rain, ice and snow. Any experience with covers that will be sure to cover the extra inches of the penthouse pop top?
Thanks

stanvernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

What ever you do, don't skimp out because inferior covers will damage your vehicle's paint quicker then the weather.
Try: Custom Car Covers | California Car Cover Co. Official Site
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks Rob - are you familiar with these folks?
https://www.carcover.com/?gclid=EAIa...iAAEgIyXvD_BwE
stanvernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

We had an inexpensive one on our oginal SMB. It worked great while we lived in Corvallis where it could get the winter sun when it was parked. When we moved to Oregon City the van was parked in a spot that hardly any winter sun. As a result the fabric never dried out. In the spring there was a layer of green growth on the van.

Now we use a Home Depot tarp over the top with the sides held out from the van with bungee cords. The tarp keeps it dry and the bungee cords all for air flow.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Do any companies modify their covers to compensate for racks, galley boxes, oversize Aluminess bumpers, etc?
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

No sorry I am not familiar with that company.
California Car Cover might do custom made to fit, call and ask.
A car cover that touches your paint and moves with the Wind or weather can wear the paint in that one area and cause irreversible damage. Some people get lucky but I've detailed many cars over the past 25 years haven't been so lucky.
As a detailer I'd rather see you have it professionally done with high-quality waxes and sealants then put a car cover on outside. Don't get me wrong I like car covers ... When I had a collectible car many years ago I purchased an indoor car cover and it kept it spotless and never harmed the paint.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

I know one of the execs at Budge car covers (they are based here in PA). They seem to be pretty high quality and have a lot of options.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanvernon View Post
Looking for advice on covering for an E 150 parked outdoors. I live in New England so we have sun, rain, ice and snow. Any experience with covers that will be sure to cover the extra inches of the penthouse pop top?
Thanks
Our van is parked outside in southern California climate, different from your conditions, but this is what has worked for us so far. Bbasso has a good point, it's best to first prep the vehicle with high quality surface sealants.

In January I detailed the van by claying, then applied Klasse All-In-One followed by Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. This is a clear acrylic coating which is UV resistant and is claimed to be good for one-half to a year. It forms a protective layer over the paint and the clearcoat, and I can vouch that it keeps bug splat and other crud from sticking to the finish and makes washing the beast a (relative) breeze. Appears to be still good after 8 months.

Next I purchased a cover from Camping World made by ADCO "SFS top/polypro sides Class B cover, P/N 12230", mainly to protect from the sun and atmospheric debris. Only needed to tuck in a bit of fabric at the front to conform to the hood/windshield profile, cost ~$200. Had looked into California Car Cover, who does custom fittings with, I'm sure, high end material, but for over twice the cost, ended up going budget.

The van is an EB E350 with the penthouse and a full Aluminess roof rack, bumpers w/ rear Deluxe box plus spare tire mount, and the cover fits pretty nicely; so far so good. Remains to be seen what will transpire during the rainy season. I personally believe the Klasse is the key factor in protecting the surface finish against any possible abrasion from the cover.

Good luck!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

I have a 700 dollar cover I had custom car cover make for my rb350. It has a Velcro cut out to go over my box and bike rack. I used it for a month until my neighbor finished his mega house and 10 car garage who also has a sportsmobile. He offered me a free space which I did not hesitate to accept. I still have cover in a box and will sell for 300 dollars if anyone is interested.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378 View Post
I have a 700 dollar cover I had custom car cover make for my rb350. It has a Velcro cut out to go over my box and bike rack. I used it for a month until my neighbor finished his mega house and 10 car garage who also has a sportsmobile. He offered me a free space which I did not hesitate to accept. I still have cover in a box and will sell for 300 dollars if anyone is interested.
Berns - Sounds like a good deal for the right person. I'd be all over that if I had a RB. Mine is a EB.

Think you live in the same town as me - have see your SMB on Coast Highway in LB.
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote